All dialects: Pretzel

Discussion in 'العربية (Arabic)' started by shaliach, Oct 12, 2016.

1. shaliach Senior Member

English - USA
    Pretzels may be a regional snack, I'm not sure. I was having a conversation with a few Palestinian friends and pretzels came up. We couldn't quite think of how to say the name of this snack in Arabic, so they used the Hebrew word instead. How do you say pretzels in your dialect?

Here is at least one word that's used in Palestinian Arabic: beegla/بيجلا (Hebrew loan word בייגלה)

2. elroy

elroy Motley mod

Chicago, IL
    US English/Palestinian Arabic bilingual
    "Bēgala" (not "bēgla") is the Palestinian Arabic word for pretzels. I wasn't aware it was a Hebrew loan, but either way, "one word that's used in Palestinian Arabic" is a misleading description. "Bēgala" is as much a Palestinian Arabic word as "mlabbas" (candy), "būZa" (ice cream), "šukulāTa" (chocolate), and "baskōt" (cookies).

3. shaliach Senior Member

English - USA
    Very interesting! Thank you.

And just a side note: The reason why I concluded that it's merely one way of saying pretzels in PA is because I asked other Palestinians who grew up outside of Israel/Palestine and they don't use this word. But they were familiar with it because of the fact that they have family in Israel/Palestine who do use this word. I figured there were other ways to say it in PA. Anyway, thanks again.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2016
  4. elroy

elroy Motley mod

Chicago, IL
    What do other dialects use for "pretzels"?

5. barkoosh Senior Member

Beirut
    Arabic
    There's no specific name for it in Lebanon. Maybe because it's not very common.

6. cherine

cherine Moderator

Alexandria, Egypt
    Arabic (Egypt).
    Neither in Egypt.

7. elroy

elroy Motley mod

Chicago, IL
    Interesting! So in everyday speech, if you wanted someone to buy you a bag of pretzels, you would have to somehow describe them periphrastically? If so, what would you say?

What does it say on pretzel packages? (Maybe you've never noticed, but if you get a chance to check, let me know!)

I wonder if this lexical gap is found in other Arabic dialects as well? Hopefully speakers of other dialects will post here.

8. tounsi51 Senior Member

Dubai
    French-Arabic
    We don't have such thing in Tunisia but since pretzel is close to French brioche the way it's baked and by its ingredients, and we already call brioche بريوش baryush in Tunisia, we could call pretzel baryush too

9. apricots

apricots Senior Member

English - US
    In Jordan بسكوت but it's really rare to find them in stores. Even the Cozmos don't have them.

10. elroy

elroy Motley mod

Chicago, IL
    Are you talking about the pastry? This thread is about the crispy snack, which is nothing like brioche.
    I'm sure that in Jordan, as in Palestine, بسكوت is "cookies" or "crackers." So this seems to be an imprecise designation because there's no word for pretzels. (Kind of reminds me of إشارة for "traffic light.")

This thread has been enlightening. Before this I would've never imagined a language (or dialect) functioning without a specific word for pretzels. :p

11. apricots

apricots Senior Member

English - US
    I followed up with my friend that there is indeed no special word and got "لا ما اتوقع" But like I said they're hard to find and are usually Turkish when you can find them. Since it seems they're just not very popular in Arab countries it makes sense that the PA word is from Hebrew.

12. tounsi51 Senior Member

Dubai
    French-Arabic
    better to check on line what is original pretzel

A pretzel ([​IMG] listen (help·info)) (German: Breze(l)) ([​IMG] listen (help·info)) is a type of baked bread product made from dough most commonly shaped into a twisted knot. Pretzels originated in Europe, possibly among monks in the Early Middle Ages

originally pretzel has nothing to do with snack... but i know you are talking about the industrial salted pretzel we find in shops, the hard one not soft

13. elroy

elroy Motley mod

Chicago, IL
    They're very popular and common in Palestine/Israel. I'm sure that if we didn't use the Hebrew borrowing, we would use something else. We also have a word for bugles, which are far less common.
    I am well aware of the original meaning, which is why I asked you if you meant the pastry. Are you saying you would use بريوش even for the crispy snack?

14. tounsi51 Senior Member

Dubai
    French-Arabic
    For the pastry yes, for the snack no. It's like in Lebanon/Egypt, as said earlier.

We could call it "kaki". In Tunisia we have salty stick we call kaki, this is a snack

Attached Files:

15. apricots

apricots Senior Member

English - US
    Bugles are everywhere in Jordan but they're just تشپس

16. Mahaodeh Senior Member

Arabic and English
    I have to admit, I have no idea what pretzels are, so I typed the word in google and looked at the pictures. I'm still not sure what it is. There are so many different pictures.
    This one:
    [​IMG]
    Looks like something I've tried, I would refer to it as: هذا البسكوت الصغير المالح (I'm guessing it's salty?), simply because I've never really heard or read a name for it.

This one:

[​IMG]
    sort of looks like سميط, except we usually make it round with sesame on the top. I don't know if it's the same or not though.

I'd have to say that it's not really so common. At least not traditionally.

17. apricots

apricots Senior Member

English - US
    The top ones are called hard pretzels and the bottom soft pretzels in English, fyi :)

18. amikama

amikama sordomodo

ישראל
    עברית
    Referring to the images in post #16: both are indeed called בייגלה in Israel, especially the top one.

If the bottom one is round, thicker and with one hole instead of three, it's also called כעך. It seems that in Arabic it's written كعك, at least according to Wikipedia.

19. elroy

elroy Motley mod

Chicago, IL
    In Palestinian Arabic بيچلا is the top one only. The bottom one isn't common enough to warrant a name.

20. fdb Senior Member

Cambridge, UK
    French (France)
    It looks like there is some confusion between pretzels and bagels.

21. elroy

elroy Motley mod

Chicago, IL
    How do you figure? I don't see any confusion.

22. fdb Senior Member

Cambridge, UK
    French (France)
    بيجلا is בייגלה is bagel. Or not?

23. elroy

elroy Motley mod

Chicago, IL
  24. amikama

amikama sordomodo

ישראל
    עברית