All dialects: scare/be scared

Hemza

French, Mor/Hijz Arabic (heritage)
Hello,

How do you say "to scare" and "to be scared" in other dialects?

In Morocco, to scare is "خوّف" or "خلع" or "جفّل" (but this latter is mostly used for animals :D ).

And if one wants to say "he has been scared", it is انخلع/اتخلع according to the area (and جفل for animals).

• Mahaodeh

Arabic, PA and IA.
    Palestinian: خَوَّف - خاف
    In Iraqi Arabic too.

However, in Iraqi Arabic some other words are sometimes also used: خرّع - اخترع = to startle and scare at the same time (not the same as خاف), and جفل - جفّل = to be scared away / to scare away (that is, leave because you were scared or startled).

Hemza

Thank you both for your input :). Of course, how could I forgot خاف :eek:.

جفل - جفّل = to be scared away / to scare away (that is, leave because you were scared or startled).
    Yes! this is the exact meaning it bears in Morocco, it is to scare away.

momai

Arabic - Syria
    Palestinian: خَوَّف - خاف
    Samething in Syrian. In addition to, there's قفط [intr.] to be startled and قفّط to startle
    قفط [transat.] is to catch s.o. red-handed.

momai

Arabic - Syria
    Momai--does Syrian use "جفل/جفّل" or other verbs for 'to be scared away/to scare away'?
    Yes, it does but it is synonymous to قفّط and نقّز. BTW, my feeling tells me قفّط is stronger than both jaffal and naqqaz but I'm not sure wheather other Syrians perceive it as such, too.
    to scare away is usaully fazza3 فزّع , hence the word فزيعة (scarecrow).

Hemza

Yes, it does but it is synonymous to قفّط and نقّز. BTW, my feeling tells me قفّط is stronger than both jaffal and naqqaz but I'm not sure wheather other Syrians perceive it as such, too.
    to scare away is usaully fazza3 فزّع , hence the word فزيعة (scarecrow).
    نقّز means "to jump" in the Maghreb :D (قفز is also used but much less than نقز).

< Previous | Next >