All dialects: sometimes, not often

mini91

UK
English-UK
How 'sometimes' or 'not often' are expressed in dialects around the Arab world? I'm aware of the MSA "a7yaanan", so is it expressed differently in dialect?

• el-Shinqiti

Arabic and English
    In the Hassaniya Arabic dialect (which covers Mauritania, the West Sahara, the Azaouad region of northern Mali, the Tindouf region of southwestern Algeria, and southern Morocco) the common term for "sometimes" is 'marra-marra'.

Arabus

Arabic-Aleppo
    I think أحيانا is a loan from Standard Arabic in many of the dialects. In Syria people tend to use such words as أوقات and أواقيت. This is what I remember now.

Bruss04

English
    In Tunisian A, this means "not always"; "not every time"; "not all the time"
    That's it. Thx
    So would it be used like "not all the time" is used in english? That is, can it be used just by itself as a response to a question, for instance.

Imad Net

Arabic - Algeria
    In Algerian it's swaaye3 .
    We don't say it my friend,
    We say "marraat, sa3aat, khatraat,
    marra marra, sa3a sa3a, khatra khatra,
    marra 3la marra, sa3a 3la sa3a, khatra 3la khatra"
    Where did you hear it (Swaaye3) ?

إسكندراني

عربي (مصر)ـ | en (gb)
    Since I see it unwise to doubt Xence's bieng Algerian, I imagine this is maybe an example of dialect variation within Algeria? I was told emphatically that the vocabulary changes from one side of the country to the other by a Moroccan friend of mine!

Imad Net

Arabic - Algeria
    Since I see it unwise to doubt Xence's bieng Algerian, I imagine this is maybe an example of dialect variation within Algeria? I was told emphatically that the vocabulary changes from one side of the country to the other by a Moroccan friend of mine!
    I didn't doubt if he is Algerian, you see that I ask him where they say it !.. Algeria is a very vast country, and in the same "wilaya" you find many differences, so imagine the differences in 48 wilayas !!
    Swaaye3 is the plural of Sa3a, but when we mean "sometimes", we use the other plural "saa3aat" and not "swaaye3"

Xence

Algeria (Arabic - French)
    Imad Net said:
    Yes, all those are used. But swaaye3 is widely used in Eastern regions: Setif, M'sila, Khenchla, Biskra, Tebessa, etc. You can check in this forum if you wish.

Imad Net

Arabic - Algeria
    Yes, all those are used. But swaaye3 is widely used in Eastern regions: Setif, M'sila, Khenchla, Biskra, Tebessa, etc. You can check in this forum if you wish.
    Although I live eastern region in Algeria, and I have many friends from this wilayas, but I never hear them saying it !.. Thank you for the information ;)

Hemza

French, Mor/Hijz Arabic (heritage)
    In Morocco,

مرة مرة
    مرات
    بعض المرات
    خطرة خطرة
    خطرات
    بعض الخطرات
    شي نوبات
    ساعات
    There may be other but this is what I have in mind.

fenakhay

French (France) / Arabic (Morocco)
    In Morocco,

مرة مرة
    مرات
    بعض المرات
    خطرة خطرة
    خطرات
    بعض الخطرات
    شي نوبات
    ساعات
    There may be other but this is what I have in mind.
    شي مرات/خطرات
    ماشي ديما/دايما
    ساعة ساعة
    كدا مرة

< Previous | Next >