All dialects: sweetheart/my love

Hemza

French, Mor/Hijz Arabic (heritage)
Hello,

I asked my Egyptian friend how they call someone else "sweetheart/my love" and he told me "قلبي" while I used to think every Arab on this planet would use "كبدي" or its diminutive, "كبيدتي" like in Morocco.

How is it said in other countries? Is "liver" also used with such meaning?

Thank you.

• djara

Tunisia Arabic
    How is it said in other countries? Is "liver" also used with such meaning?
    كبدي and كبيدتي are only used to express the love of parents for their offspring. It is also used ironically for someone who is clearly wrong (equivalent to 'You don't get it, my dear).
    In MSA, a standard expression to talk about one's children is فلذات أكبادنا
    As to sweetheart/my love, and also darling, in Tunisian I'd say the most current is عزيزي عزيزتي. In songs, they also use محبوب(ت)ي

AKAMAHZ

Arabic Egypt
    In the Egyptian dialect we also say
    حبيبي/ حبيتي
    روحي
    حبي

But we don’t use ‘كبيدي/كبيدتي ‘ at all.

Hemza

French, Mor/Hijz Arabic (heritage)
    Thanks you for your input.

كبدي and كبيدتي are only used to express the love of parents for their offspring. It is also used ironically for someone who is clearly wrong (equivalent to 'You don't get it, my dear).
    Same in Morocco, I haven't thought of think of this usage before you mention it.

As to sweetheart/my love, and also darling, in Tunisian I'd say the most current is عزيزي عزيزتي. In songs, they also use محبوب(ت)ي
    Also used in Morocco (محبوب also is used in songs).

In the Egyptian dialect we also say
    حبيبي/ حبيتي
    روحي
    حبي

But we don’t use ‘كبيدي/كبيدتي ‘ at all.
    Also used in Morocco but may be a bit less used than كبدي/كبدتي but I thought they were spread to the point I wouldn't have to mention them :D.

Aloulu

Tunisian Arabic
    Tunisian arabic:

When talking to my wife;
    Hobi
    Ro7i
    3omri

But there are many more obviously.

When talking to my little daughter;
    3aynaye
    Ro7i
    7ayati
    3osforti
    3aslati
    7obi

Mahaodeh

Arabic, PA and IA.
    Really?? يا مخي works? :p:D
    I haven't heard this one! But I've heard a variety of other organs. Sometimes it does sound funny :D.

كبدي is second to the ones I mentioned, together with عيني. I once even heard حشاي (colloquial for أحشائي).

< Previous | Next >