All dialects: That's enough

gsc

UK
English
kifaaya
kifaaya kida

Is this Egyptian Arabic expression used as we would use 'enough' in English?

Could I use it 'That's enough thank you' when being served meat or veg for example as well as saying 'that's enough!' ie stop it.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Josh_

U.S., English
    That would be kifaaya without the first 'y'. It means 'enough' while kifaaya kida means 'that's enough.' I'd say you can pretty much use them in whatever situation you would use them in English.

ayed

Arabic(Saudi)
    In Badawi , I would hear my grandmother usually utters :"kaan !kaan !" كان! كان specially when she would want me to desist brimming a cup or a jorum with water:)

Xence

Algeria (Arabic - French)
    [Moderator Note: Off-topic part removed.]
    Ayed,
    In Algerian, you would hear يزّي ، يزّي for the same meaning. I guess this is an alteration of يجزي .

Last edited by a moderator:

ayed

Arabic(Saudi)
    Ayed,
    In Algerian, you would hear يزّي ، يزّي
    Thanks Xence.I heard this word uttered by an urban lady when she was being branded with a hot iron on her head.When she wanted the "brander"to stop.She was from a city closer the Riyadh.

Xence

Algeria (Arabic - French)
    Hi Ayed,

Thanks for the information.
    Of course, you would also hear, in Algeria, يكفي , but ther's another word for enough : ياسر which is used in many provinces, and I can't say exactly where it derives from.

Mahaodeh

Arabic, PA and IA.
    In Algerian, you would hear يزّي ، يزّي for the same meaning. I guess this is an alteration of يجزي .
    That is exteremely interesting. This word is used commonly in Iraq for the exact same meaning. I have mentioned it to Syrians, Lebanese, Jordanians, Egyptians and Emaraati nationals; not one of them has heard it before!

But my guess is that it may have an Ottoman Turkish origin.

Hemza

French, Mor/Hijz Arabic (heritage)
    That is exteremely interesting. This word is used commonly in Iraq for the exact same meaning. I have mentioned it to Syrians, Lebanese, Jordanians, Egyptians and Emaraati nationals; not one of them has heard it before!
    But my guess is that it may have an Ottoman Turkish origin.
    Same in Hassania dialect, يزَي is used the same way as in Moroccan (يدزي) Tunisian and Algerian and it comes from جزى/يجزي which means "to be enough"

تعريف و معنى جزى بالعربي في معجم المعاني الجامع، المعجم الوسيط ،اللغة العربية المعاصر - معجم عربي عربي - صفحة 1

I didn't know it was used in Iraq. If it exists in Hassania, it's almost impossible for this word to come from Turkish since Turkish had no influence over Hassania (except through other Moroccan dialects but it's unlikely to happen)

Last edited:

Mahaodeh

Arabic, PA and IA.
    I didn't know it was used in Iraq. If it exists in Hassania, it's almost impossible for this word to come from Turkish since Turkish had no influence over Hassania
    Then maybe it comes from a classical Arabic dialect (not CA as is considered the standard), or from another language through such dialect. Of course, these are just wild guesses.

elroy

Imperfect Mod
    US English/Palestinian Arabic bilingual
    'That's enough thank you'
    The most polite way to say this in Palestinian Arabic is to only say "thank you": usually يسلمو إيديك or شكرًا. The rest is understood from context.

In casual contexts, people usually say بَسّ.

< Previous | Next >