All Dialects: To leave food on your plate

HBZ55

Arabic - Tunisia
In Tunisian Arabic, the word used to mean "leave food on your plate, not finish it" is فضّل, and for "the rest of something, the remaining" we use the word الفاضل.
I've always found it weird since it seemed very far from the modern meaning of the word, but I looked it up and a similar verb seems to have had the same meaning in the past.
From Lisaan Al-3arab:
والفَضْل والفَضْلة: البقيَّة من الشيء.
وأَفْضَل
فلان من الطعام وغيره إِذا ترك منه شيئاً.
I'm wondering if there are any other dialects that use the same words, and if not what are they?

• cherine

Arabic (Egypt).
    We do use the adjective فاضل in Egyptian Arabic for "remaining", but it's not restricted to food. You can say
    لسة فاضل شغل ما خلصش there's still [remaining] work to do
    فاضل ساعة ونروَّح we'll leave [work/school] in an hour, or: there's still an hour before we go home
    فاضل أكل في الطبق there's still food in the plate, or: there's food remaining/left in the plate.

The verb بقيّ/بقَّى ba22i (pronounced ba22a in Alexandria) means to leave something. For example, a mother would tell her child ما تبقيش ولا لقمة don't leave even a bite. And the adjective from it is also commonly used (replace فاضل with باقي in the previous examples).

Hemza

French, Mor/Hijz Arabic (heritage)
    In Moroccan, we say "خلّي" or "بقى" as Cherine said but in another way "ما نبغيش تبقى المكلة" (I don't want food remains). I never heard "فضّل" with this particular meaning in Moroccan, but I can't assert that it doesn't exist.

Last edited:

HBZ55

Arabic - Tunisia
    We do use the adjective فاضل in Egyptian Arabic for "remaining", but it's not restricted to food. You can say
    لسة فاضل شغل ما خلصش there's still [remaining] work to do
    فاضل ساعة ونروَّح we'll leave [work/school] in an hour, or: there's still an hour before we go home
    فاضل أكل في الطبق there's still food in the plate, or: there's food remaining/left in the plate.

The verb بقيّ/بقَّى ba22i (pronounced ba22a in Alexandria) means to leave something. For example, a mother would tell her child ما تبقيش ولا لقمة don't leave even a bite. And the adjective from it is also commonly used (replace فاضل with باقي in the previous examples).
    In Tunisian Arabic, it's not restricted to food too, but it's the most common usage.
    For your examples we'd say:
    مازال فمه خدمة ما كملتش
    مازال ساعة ونروح
    مازال ثمة ماكلة في الصحن or فضلت ماكلة في الصحن "fudhlit"

Hemza

French, Mor/Hijz Arabic (heritage)
    مازال فمه خدمة ما كملتش
    مازال ساعة ونروح
    مازال ثمة ماكلة في الصحن or فضلت ماكلة في الصحن "fudhlit"
    Almost the same thing for Moroccan, we use the same construction (except for vocabulary which differs sparsely).

@Cherine: Is "maazaal" used in Egyptian the same way it's used in Moroccan/Algerian/Tunisian?

< Previous | Next >