All dialects: Turkish coffee pot

< Previous | Next >

akhooha

English - USA
I know that in Egypt, the Turkish coffee pot is known as كَنَكة , and that in Syria it is called either رَكْوة or جَزْوة , and I've heard that in Palestinian dialect it is known as بَكْرَج (although I think this can mean coffee pot in general). I'm not talking about a generic coffee pot, but specifically the small, long-handled one used for making Turkish coffee. What is it called in your dialect?
Thank you.

• akhooha

English - USA
    I wonder if doole (دولة?) is related to دَلَّة , which is entirely different type of coffee pot. Is doole specific to the Turkish coffee pot? Thanks.

analeeh

English - UK
    Yeah, I wondered that - but doole (دولة yeah) is certainly used synonymously with rakwe. I'm not sure what the term equivalent to dalla is (I know in Palestine it's called a dalle and it would make sense if that was the form in Syria too).

Hemza

French, Mor/Hijz Arabic (heritage)
    In the Maghreb, this is called "بقراج" or "مقراج ". There already is a post about this topic but I can't find it...

elroy

Imperfect Mod
    US English, Palestinian Arabic bilingual
    Were you thinking of this thread, Hemza?

In Palestinian Arabic both بكرج (bakraj) and غلّاي (ghallaay) are used, with different regional distributions. Both refer specifically to what you're asking about (which we would never refer to using that demomym ;)).

Hemza

thanks, this is this one. Also, I didn't know غلاي was used in Morocco, I probably already heard it before but I might have forgotten it.

Ramisadeh

Arabic
    In jordan all if these are used:
    ركوة
    بكرج
    دلة
    دولة
    غلاي

I know that دلة and دولة are names for another vessel but it is also used to call the turkish coffe pot by some.

I.K.S.

Moroccan Arabic
    Besideغلاي,The term ابريق is another popular term we use in Morocco ,especially for that long-handled pot the OP defined .

In the Maghreb, this is called "بقراج" or "مقراج ". There already is a post about this topic but I can't find it...
    As far as i know مقراج is the kettle we use to boil water with ,are there regions where coffee pot is called مقراج?

Hemza

^
    I heard 2 people who mix both. To be honest I don't know if it's just because they're lazy and use the first word which comes to their mind or if it's because it's how they call in their area (they're from the North East). I never saw them from there but I remember them because it was the first time I heard the word مقراج

< Previous | Next >