All dialects: use of active participle instead of passive participle

< Previous | Next >

Hemza

French, Mor/Hijz Arabic (heritage)
Hello,

After reading the thread "all dialects: to cut" I noticed that in Egyptian (as well as Moroccan), the use of the active participate is made while it should be the past participate. Is it the case in yours (or the one(s) you know)? I guess it exists among my Maghrebi fellows' dialects?

For example, in Morocco, we would invariably say "الضوء طافي" and "الضوء مطفي" to mean "the light is turned off".

Thanks.

• analeeh

English - UK
    Could you give us some more examples?

By the way, it's usually called the passive and not the past participle.

Hemza

French, Mor/Hijz Arabic (heritage)
    I meant اسم المفعول not the passive voice. Or do you call also اسم المفعول "passive" in English?

Another example: القهوة واجدة beside القهوة موجودة (but واجد/واجدة can also means, according to the context that there is "a lot of")

I can't think of other examples right now...

elroy

Imperfect Mod
    US English, Palestinian Arabic bilingual
    In Palestinian Arabic "The store is open" is usually الدكان فاتحة rather than الدكان مفتوحة.

analeeh

English - UK
    Yes, it's the passive participle, as it is to the passive verb (yunqalu > manquul) as the active participle is to the active verb (yanqulu > naaqil).

faate7 and msakker are probably examples in Syrian.

Even in CA, majnuun is arguably an example, since it is (at least in practice) the passive participle of an intransitive verb janna which would more typically result in jaann. There are some other examples I'm sure.

Ghabi

Cantonese
    Even in CA, majnuun is arguably an example, since it is (at least in practice) the passive participle of an intransitive verb janna which would more typically result in jaann.
    But the verb is junna, not janna, isn't it? (Compare 3uriDa, 3utiha, 2uhtira, and other sickness verbs like sulla, Suri3a.)

< Previous | Next >