All dialects: very, a lot, many, a great deal

Hemza

French, Mor/Hijz Arabic (heritage)
I got a dictionary of Moroccan, Algerian, Tunisian and Egyptian dialects and French written at least before 1854. It never mentions when it is Maghrebi or Egyptian (although one can sometimes guess). I randomly found this, which may give a clue about Libyan هلبة [ATTACH=full]28726[/ATTACH]

It is just a guess but here هلبة (meaning "tout à fait") may be Tunisian or Algerian (the dictionary seems to mainly focus on Algerian for historical reasons), what do you think @djara ? The author didn't include what would become later Libyan (either Tripolitanian, Fezzan or Cyrenaican dialects) so this picture can't refer to what is now Libyan.

Last edited:

cherine

Arabic (Egypt).
Interesting find, Hamza. :) This واصل can be heard in Egyptian series taking place in Upper Egypt, but I only heard it in negative sentences with the meaning "[not] at all": ما اعرفش واصل I don't know at all/I absolutely don't know.

djara

Tunisia Arabic
It is just a guess but here هلبة (meaning "tout à fait") may be Tunisian or Algerian (the dictionary seems to mainly focus on Algerian for historical reasons), what do you think @djara ?
No, هلبة is not used in Tunisian.
In the picture you included, the only phrase that sounds Tunisian is بالمرة which means "not at all" (that is "tout à fait" in the negative sense, exactly as @cherine said in the previous post)

Hemza

Interesting find, Hamza. :) This واصل can be heard in Egyptian series taking place in Upper Egypt, but I only heard it in negative sentences with the meaning "[not] at all": ما اعرفش واصل I don't know at all/I absolutely don't know.
And me who was wondering from which planet could this واصل come from :D. Thank you :).

No, هلبة is not used in Tunisian.
In the picture you included, the only phrase that sounds Tunisian is بالمرة which means "not at all" (that is "tout à fait" in the negative sense, exactly as @cherine said in the previous post)
Thank you. (بالمرة is also used in Morocco with this same meaning). But how could the author (Jean Joseph Marçais) get this هلبة? Is it a mistake? Or he may had included some Libyan words (although it is not claimed). Even the meaning seems à priori wrong to me as with other words (بالمرة, بالكل/بالكلية).

But how could the author (Jean Joseph Marçais) get this هلبة? Is it a mistake? Or he may had included some Libyan words (although it is not claimed)
This might be attributed to the geographic boundaries of political entities that change over the time; accordingly, The author must have recorded some words within what used to be ايالة تونس at the time...

djara

Tunisia Arabic
But how could the author (Jean Joseph Marçais) get this هلبة? Is it a mistake?
I think the whole entry is a mistake because a proper French translation of the following three phrases بالمرة، بالكلية، واصل would be "absolument pas; pas du tout..." (not at all, absolutely not) and not "tout à fait" (quite, exactly...)
As far as I know Libyan هلبة is not used to mean either 'tout à fait' or 'pas du tout'

Hemza

Thanks for the link, I've found this entry but I don't know if it is possible that the name of some character became a word which means "a lot"... And Eastern Libya doesn't use this word hence my doubts about this hypothesis...

This might be attributed to the geographic boundaries of political entities that change over the time; accordingly, The author must have recorded some words within what used to be ايالة تونس at the time...
This also came to my mind afterwards (political boundaries didn't exist or at least, were much different from today's ones).

I think the whole entry is a mistake because a proper French translation of the following three phrases بالمرة، بالكلية، واصل would be "absolument pas; pas du tout..." (not at all, absolutely not) and not "tout à fait" (quite, exactly...)
As far as I know Libyan هلبة is not used to mean either 'tout à fait' or 'pas du tout'
That's must be the only conclusion. "Tout à fait" means the same thing as "absolument pas/pas du tout" yet it is always positive while the latters are negative and according to my modest knowledge, no one would say بالمرة or بالكل in a statement, only in negative sentences.

Last edited: