All dialects: watch out, pay attention

Hemza

French, Mor/Hijz Arabic (heritage)
Hello,

I would like to know how pay attention/watch out is said in other dialects. In Moroccan (including Hassaniya) we say:

رد بالك/رد البال
اطرح بالك/اطرح البال (also used when asking someone to pay attention to us like اطرح لي بالك).
ارعى من
عندك

and although I'm used to hear this last one, I still wonder how this word had taken this meaning (other Moroccans' input is asked for here :D ).

Thank you :).

• fenakhay

French (France) / Arabic (Morocco)
    and although I'm used to hear this last one, I still wonder how this word had taken this meaning (other Moroccans' input is asked for here :D ).
    It is عنداك. It is the same construction as إيّاك.

We also say : حضي راسك or حضي جنابك

tounsi51

French, Tunisian Arabic

Thank you :).
    It is said to be modeling from berber. A berber expression that translated in Arabic becomes 3endek

wriight

English (US) / Arabic (Lebanon)
    I think just انتبه in Lebanon. Also ع مهلك if the addressee needs to slow down in order to pay attention.

Hemza

French, Mor/Hijz Arabic (heritage)
    Thank you all for your input :).
    The meaning evolved from the significance of possession and ownership that عنداك <عندك implies, e.g: In your area, around you, near you, in your private space...etc.
    This sounds logical!! I don't know why it didn't come to my mind!

It is said to be modeling from berber. A berber expression that translated in Arabic becomes 3endek
    Do you have a source?

< Previous | Next >