All dialects : What's up ?

Amirali1383koohi

Persian
Hi 🙂
What is (what's up ?) in different Arabic dialects?
Please also tell me the pronunciation
Thank you very much in advance ☺

• bamia

Dutch
    Shou fi ma fi? (Levantine, native speakers are more than welcome to chime in, maybe its usage is confined to a more specific area)
    Wayn yo? (Lebanese, Zahleh dialect)

Hemza

French, Mor/Hijz Arabic (heritage)
    In Morocco:
    أش (ك)تعاود؟
    كاين شي جديد؟
    In the South of Morocco:
    أش طاري فيك؟

أش طاري (what's happening/up?) used to be frequent in the rest of Morocco but it kind of disappeared I think.

Last edited:

bamia

Dutch
    In Morocco:
    أش (ك)تعاود؟
    كاين شي جديد؟
    In the South of Morocco:
    أش طاري فيك؟

أش طاري (what's happening/up?) used to be frequent in the rest of Morocco but it kind of disappeared I think.
    How about wesh wesh? Is that still used in France? As in wesh wesh cousin!

Hemza

French, Mor/Hijz Arabic (heritage)
    How about wesh? Is that still used in France? As in wesh cousin!
    This occurs in France in very specific environments and it is irrelevant to the Maghreb, it wouldn't be understood there since its origin doesn't lie there. These expressions were formed in France.
    As for وش (and its variants وشو/وشي) this is specifically Algerian, it is much less frequently used in Morocco and Tunisia and the original meaning of وش is what (you can also hear it in the Gulf and in Saudi Arabia) and in France, it became a way of apostrophing someone and asking "what's up" while such meaning is unknown in the Maghreb.

Mahaodeh

Arabic, PA and IA.
    Shou fi ma fi? (Levantine, native speakers are more than welcome to chime in, maybe its usage is confined to a more specific area)
    Wayn yo? (Lebanese, Zahleh dialect)
    In Palestinian Arabic I've common heard شو في ما في؟ I have no idea about the second one.

Similarly in Iraqi Arabic they say شكو ماكو؟

< Previous | Next >