all except the brief scene with the lunatic

Irelia20150604

Chinese
The quotation comes from Charlotte Brontë – Jane Eyre (Chap. 26) | Genius

Quotation: The morning had been a quiet morning enough—all except the brief scene with the lunatic: the transaction in the church had not been noisy; there was no explosion of passion, no loud altercation, no dispute, no defiance or challenge, no tears, no sobs: a few words had been spoken, a calmly pronounced objection to the marriage made; some stern, short questions put by Mr. Rochester; answers, explanations given, evidence adduced; an open admission of the truth had been uttered by my master; then the living proof had been seen; the intruders were gone, and all was over.
===
Hi everyone! I don't quite understand the bold part. I try to interpret it as below. Is it correct?

scene => an embarrassing outbreak or display of anger, strong feeling, or bad manners:
the sentence => the morning was quite all the time except the brief display of the mad people's anger.

• suzi br

English / England
    It cannot be mad people because lunatic is singular. It is a scene with one mad person.

Did they go to the attic to see Mr R's actual wife during the day?

If so, this sentence covers that. She is the "lunatic" in the story and the brief scene covers the short time they were with her, which was noisy compared to the quiet calmness surrounding the other events that day.

If they did not see Bertha I am not sure what she means!

< Previous | Next >