all... except

TeddiePooh

Chinese
Hi, can anyone tell me if this sentence is right/wrong. Thanks.

"In this pond, all the frogs are green except these two ones."

Does this sentence make sense?

• boozer

Bulgarian
    'These two ones' sounds weird. Just say 'these two'. It almost sounds as if you have caught the two non-greens and are proudly presenting them to your horrified mother :D

You should not be giving us sentences without telling us what worries you about them, though. A specific language question must be asked.

TeddiePooh

Chinese
    'These two ones' sounds weird. Just say 'these two'. It almost sounds as if you have caught the two non-greens and are proudly presenting them to your horrified mother :D

You should not be giving us sentences without telling us what worries you about them, though. A specific language question must be asked.
    Thank you boozer.
    It's actually a multiple-choice grammar exercise.

In this pond, ______ of the frogs are green except these two ones.
    (A) any (B) most (C) much (D) all

The given answer is (B) most; however, is (D) all, also an possible answer?

boozer

Bulgarian
    'Most' implies that the speaker has no knowledge of the actual number, so it makes a lot less sense than 'all'. If D is not the only grammatically correct answer, it is certainly the best answer of the four given.

As regards 'two ones', whoever wrote this test question should sit a test on the use of 'one', in my humble opinion :D

TeddiePooh

Chinese
    'Most' implies that the speaker has no knowledge of the actual number, so it makes a lot less sense than 'all'. If D is not the only grammatically correct answer, it is certainly the best answer of the four given.

As regards 'two ones', whoever wrote this test question should sit a test on the use of 'one', in my humble opinion :D
    Hahaha, thank you boozer.

< Previous | Next >