all four seasons

Wu Suo Wei

English - US
大家好!

我最近听到人用 “全四季节” 或是 “全四个季节” (他们想说的是 "all four seasons",比如:this place is warm all four seasons)。这两个听起来感觉都有点怪,但我却说不出个所以然。

所以我想请教一下大家:

1. “四季” 和 ”四个季节” 前面能不能用 ”全” 来形容?如果不行,为什么不行? 是语法不对的问题,还是这么说不恰当的问题?
2. “全部四个季节”、 “全部四季”、 和 “全部季节” 呢?

谢谢大家的帮助!

• retrogradedwithwind

Chinese
    应该用“所有”。
    所有四个季节
    所有七个国家
    所有三张桌子

如果是“全四季”,我倒可以接受,认为是一种创新用法。

Wu Suo Wei

English - US
    谢谢两位!

那可不可以再麻烦一下哪位也提供个语法解释,说明为什么 “全” 不能用在这里?

retrogradedwithwind

Chinese
    全部四个季节也是对的。

理由的话,大概就是字数对应,不能造成歧义。

全部四个 两个字的全部对应两个字的四个

全四季 都是一个字的词

Messquito

Chinese - Taiwan 中文 Taiwanese Hokkien 臺語
    this place is warm all four seasons > 這個地方一年四季(four seasons in a year)都很溫暖。
    This is what I would use, and find most natural.
    (Similar phrases: 一天二十四小時(24 ours in a day=all day, all 24 hours)、一年三百六十五天(365 days in a year=the whole year、一週七天(7 days in a week=the whole week))

Don't make it a habit of putting "all" before a number in Chinese when it's the subject or topic or after 把; it's not so natural. Instead, use "all(都)" in an adverb-y way, e.g. The four seasons here are all warm. 這個地方四個季節很溫暖。

If you try and say 這個地方全部四個季節都很溫暖, there would be two issues:
    1. The actual meaning of this sentence is between "All four seasons here are warm" and "There are in total four seasons here and they are all warm."
    2. You don't have to tell people "there are in total four seasons here" as if it's some new information.

In this case, 全部 is usually not just there to mean "all", but also as a reminder of how many something is in total. (As if telling "Hey, there are four!" or "Hey, I am aware that there are four!")

On the other hand, if "all four seasons" is none of the three mentioned above, 全部四個季節 can be perfectly natural.
    After 把:他把(一年)四個季節當成冬天。 He treated all four seasons as winter.
    Subject:四個季節不一樣。 All four seasons are different.
    Topic:四個季節我喜歡。 I love all four seasons.
    Other:要能喜歡全部四個季節是件很不容易的事。It's not easy to like all four seasons.

As to 全四季:

全 is used much like "entire/whole", e.g. the whole body(全身), the entire world(全世界), the whole year(全年), the whole country(全國). It refers to every unit in a noun that has some collective meaning. (If it refers to the whole entity as a unit, then 整+partitive is used.)
    (全 is not 全部, the latter is used only for plural nouns. As a result, you do no normally see 全 before a number.)

全四季 only naturally happens when 季 refers to the seasons of a TV series. And it usually only occurs on "TV show description" or on TV show products, meaning "4 seasons in total 全部共四季/總共四季", the 全 here works like 總共(in total), and it's mainly just idiomatic.

This one has perhaps made its way into daily use when talking about TVs, but I still find 全部四季 or 四季都 more natural than 全四季.

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >