All hell broke loose.

< Previous | Next >

Encolpius

Hungarian
Hello, you say all hell broke loose if suddenly there is a lot of noise, arguing, fighting or confusion. How do you say that in your language? Thanks.

Hungarian: Elszabadult a pokol. (elszabadult - broke loose, a pokol - the hell)

• Greek:

«Έγινε χαμός» [ˈe.ʝi.ne xaˈmɔs] --> there was havoc
    «Έγινε το έλα να δεις» [ˈe.ʝi.ne tɔ ˈela na ðis] --> there was "come and see"
    «Πανδαιμόνιο» [pan.ðeˈmɔ.ni.ɔ] (neut.) --> pandemonium
    «Χαμός Κυρίου» [xaˈmɔs ciˈɾi.u] --> (the) Lord's (i.e. Jesus) havoc
    «Της πουτάνας» [tis puˈta.nas] :warning: --> the whore's (havoc, distress, disaster)
    «Άνοιξαν οι πύλες της Κολάσεως» [ˈa.ni.k͜san i ˈpi.les tis kɔˈla.se.ɔs] --> the gates of Hell opened

Penyafort

Catalan (Catalonia), Spanish (Spain)
    In Catalan:

Es va moure/muntar un sagramental = A 'sagramental' started there --it was a group of armed citizens joined by an oath to defend their liberties
    Es va moure/armar un sidral = A 'sidral' started there --it is an old fizzy drink
    Va haver-hi altar fumat i missa de tres = There was a smoky altar and mass at three --originally meaning a feast or noisy celebration

In Spanish:

Se armó la de Dios es Cristo = The (discussion) about God is Christ started there
    Se armó la de San Quintín = The (battle) of St. Quentin started there --in reference to a decisive battle between the kingdoms of Spain and France in 1557
    Se armó la Marimorena = The one of Mari Morena started there --in reference to a 16th-century event in which innkeeper María Morena refused to sell her best wine to the soldiers, causing a big quarrel that led to a trial

< Previous | Next >