All IIR languages: sunrise and sunset

< Previous | Next >

panjabigator

Am. English
Hello all:

Did some searching - I know I've seen this topic before - but was unable to locate anything.

Sunrise in Urdu/Persian: طلوح خرشید
Sunset in Urdu/Persian: غروب خرشید

Sunrise in Hindi: सूर्योदय
Sunset in Hindi: सूर्यास्त

I just found this verb in Punjabi for "to set": است ھونا and استنا Is this verb used colloquially and would it work in Hindi and Urdu?

• BP.

Urdu
    Urdu adopts more frequently a different spelling of khurshiid i.e. خورشید, with a silent و so the pronunciation of the word doesn't change.

Just as well, we use aaftaab-آفتاب- more frequently than khurshiid e.g. sunrise-tuluu3 e aaftaab-طلوعِ آفتاب.

Qureshpor

Panjabi, Urdu پنجابی، اردو
    Hello all:

Did some searching - I know I've seen this topic before - but was unable to locate anything.

Sunrise in Hindi: सूर्योदय
    Sunset in Hindi: सूर्यास्त

I just found this verb in Punjabi for "to set": است ھونا and استنا Is this verb used colloquially and would it work in Hindi and Urdu?

In my childhood we used to say "dyuN nikalnaa" and "dyuN DubNRaa" for sunrise and sunset respectively. Then "din", "suuraj", "aaftaab" and "shams" lit up my life!
    :)

Last edited:

Lika Brown

Armenian-Armenia
    [Moderator note: thread merged with the previous one. Please don't forget forum rule #1. Thanks. Cherine]

Dear friends,
    How do you say sunset & sunrise in Urdu?
    Also, the sun has risen & sun is setting.
    Same would be interesting to know in Hindi.

Last edited by a moderator:

Alfaaz

English
    Here are a few additions to the information present in the other thread:

Words for sun - شمس، آفتاب، مہر، خورشید، سورج، وغیرہ - shams, aaftaab, mihr, xurshiid, suuraj, etc.

• The first word is of Arabic origin, the next three are of Persian origin, and the last is of Sanskrit origin.
      • This means that apart from suuraj, all of the others could be substituted into the izaafat construction (indicated by etc. below).
        • However, as noted in the other thread and below, aaftaab seems to be the most commonly used in this context!
          • suuraj is most common in everyday conversations for plain sun.
    sunrise:
    • طلوعِ آفتاب - tuluu3-e-aaftaab
    • اشراق - ishraaq
    • etc.
    sunset:
    • غروبِ آفتاب - Ghuruub-e-aaftaab
    • etc.
    In addition to all of the options mentioned above, there are suuraj tuluu3 honaa/nikalnaa and suuraj Ghuruub honaa/Duubnaa that can be/are used in other cases.

Examples:

• Ghuruub hote/Duubte suuraj kaa manzar dekhne chaleN? - Shall we go see the scene of the setting sun?
    • Ghuruub-e-aaftaab dekhne chaleN? - Shall we go see the sunset?
    • aaj suuraj kab nikle gaa? - When will the sun rise today?
    • aaj tuluu3-e-aaftaab kab mutawaqqi3 hai? - When is sunrise expected (to occur) today?

< Previous | Next >