all in all vs. as a whole

gloomy

turkish
The community........ , rather than its individual members, was responsible for paying royal taxes.

a. for all
b. by and large
c. in short
d. all in all
e. as a whole

The answer is e I agree with that but I wonder why not d? Is it just because the phrase after comma? Where do we use all in all?

thanks in advance..

Last edited:
  • Gordonedi

UK (Scotland) English
    I would use all in all as an alternative to all things considered, meaning taking everything into account.

It was raining ; I missed the bus ; the book I wanted was out of stock ; I was late getting to the restaurant ; I dropped a glass of wine on my best dress. All in all, it was a disastrous day.

gloomy

turkish
    I would use all in all as an alternative to all things considered, meaning taking everything into account.

It was raining ; I missed the bus ; the book I wanted was out of stock ; I was late getting to the restaurant ; I dropped a glass of wine on my best dress. All in all, it was a disastrous day.
    .... As a whole it was a disastous day. Seems the same doesn't it?

rainbow84uk

English, UK
    Yes, as a whole is nothing to do with 'all things considered', which is what all in all means. As a whole is used when talking about groups of people, to say that you are talking not about the individuals but about the group all together as one unit.

On the whole is the expression which means something similar to all in all.

Madrid829

US English, Great Lakes area
    I also hear on the whole sometimes. Definitely not as often as all in all, but it could be used in the same way if you liked it better or wanted to use it in the future.

< Previous | Next >