all man, with a bit of animal thrown in.

senaka

Japanese
Hi, everyone. How are you? I am watching The Blackadder 3(TV series) and I am not really sure about meaning of "I'm all man, with a bit of animal thrown in." Could you help me?

Note:This TV series is Comedy.

Context:prince Regent George was planning to marry a rich woman and trying to write letter to her. However, he hadn't a talent for writing. So Blackadder offered a helping hand to write for him.

E: It's very moving sir. Would you mind if I change just one tiny
aspect of it?

PR: Which one?

E: The words.

PR: Oh yes, I'll, I'll, I'll leave the details to you Blackadder. Just
make sure she knows I'm all man, with a bit of animal thrown in.
Thanks in advance.

• Niblib

English - Australia
    Hi, everyone. How are you? I am watching The Blackadder 3(TV series) and I am not really sure about meaning of "I'm all man, with a bit of animal thrown in." Could you help me?

Note:This TV series is Comedy.

Context:prince Regent George was planning to marry a rich woman and trying to write letter to her. However, he hadn't a talent for writing. So Blackadder offered a helping hand to write for him.

Thanks in advance.
    if copywrite is here i could use a hand :) you seem to articulate things better than me

Niblib

English - Australia
    he's saying he is very masculan and a little primal.

sorry if that doesn't help. i cant seem to put what's in my head into words.

Copyright

American English
    I don't know, Niblib... I thought your explanation was quite good.

Part of the humor, of course, is that Man is an animal.
    Part is that he's bragging about being all man, totally masculine.
    Part is that "animal" can also mean primal (rather than the gentleman you might take to a dinner party).
    And then there's the amusing aspect of quantity: All of X, with a little bit of Y. If you're ALL of something, there's no room for anything else.

Anyway, enough surmising: I think it's a funny line. I'm all man, with a bit of animal thrown in. That's not by way of help or explanation at all... just a bit of repetition. :D Let us know, senaka, if none of this is helping.

senaka

Japanese
    Thanks Niblib and Copyright.

Sorry but just a question, have you ever seen any of the X-men movies? it would help if you said yes
    Yes I have watched all of it. :)

he's saying he is very masculan and a little primal.

sorry if that doesn't help. i cant seem to put what's in my head into words.
    It is a great help!:)
    I got it! All man means masculine! That was a hard one.
    And a bit of animal thrown in means a little primal. That was hard one too.:D

Some English expressions are hard to understand, so your explanations are a great help. Thanks again:)

Part of the humor, of course, is that Man is an animal.
    You are right! I should have known it!:eek:

Part is that he's bragging about being all man, totally masculine.
    Part is that "animal" can also mean primal (rather than the gentleman you might take to a dinner party).
    Your explanatin is very clear! Thank you! I got it!:)

And then there's the amusing aspect of quantity: All of X, with a little bit of Y. If you're ALL of something, there's no room for anything else.
    I thought the same too. This phrase really is hard one to understand!:p

Anyway, enough surmising: I think it's a funny line. I'm all man, with a bit of animal thrown in. That's not by way of help or explanation at all... just a bit of repetition. Let us know, senaka, if none of this is helping.
    Please don't be overmodest!
    Your explanatin is a great help!:)
    Thanks again!

< Previous | Next >