all might the moneymakers

ttttr

Banned
German
I have the following short paragraph:
"In their own documents of May 2011 the Gemeente says that the new approach for the area is one of letting “the market lead, and where the Gemeente follows”.
In other words – all might to the moneymakers."

Or should it be:
All the might the moneymakers
All the might to the moneymakers

Please suggest the version that comes most naturally to English native speakers ears.

An alternative is to use the word "power" instead of "might", but I would like to keep the alliteration, if possible.

Thanks.

• fuzzy logician

English - UK
    I would use "All power to the moneymakers".

I suspect that the original text may be making an allusion to Lenin's 1917 Pravda article, "Вся власть советам!", which is usually rendered as "All power to the Soviets!" in English. http://www.marxists.org/archive/lenin/works/1917/jul/18.htm . In that case a more ironic/evocative translation might be "All power to the entrepreneurs" or "all power to the capitalists" or perhaps even "all power to the markets".

Last edited:

Thomas Tompion

English - England
    I agree with Fuzzy.

There is a famous slogan 'All power to the people', so 'All might to the moneymakers' shouldn't have an added definite article (the) as suggested. The two suggestions aren't unngrammatical, but the slogan is so well known that they sound strange.

< Previous | Next >