All of our family depend on her.

Gunday

Korean

I think "All of our family depends on her." is the same as the above.

Because family can be plural or single.
What do you think?

• Tazzler

American English
    I'm sure this topic has been discussed several times before in the forums, so if you run a search then you'll find several threads dealing with it. I can tell you that the singular form is more usual in American English.

EStjarn

Spanish
    I think "All of our family depends on her." is the same as the above. Because family can be plural or single. What do you think?
    To me it depends on the meaning of 'all'. If you give 'all' the meaning of 'whole', i.e. 'our whole family', then both inflections are possible. But if 'all' is short for 'all of the members', then it must be, I'd say, 'depend':
    One of the members of our family depends on her.
    Two of the members of our family depend on her.
    All of the members of our family depend on her.

panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    Some threads about family, singular or plural, are listed at collective family.

I don't know if any address the specific combination of "all of" with family. I think that makes a difference.

Although I (in normal BE fashion) choose to consider family as singular or plural, depending on context, I am quite sure that "all of our family" is plural ... for the reason I see that EStjarn has set out above :)

Parla

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    To me it depends on the meaning of 'all'. If you give 'all' the meaning of 'whole', i.e. 'our whole family', then both inflections are possible. But if 'all' is short for 'all of the members', then it must be, I'd say, 'depend':
    One of the members of our family depends on her.
    Two of the members of our family depend on her.
    All of the members of our family depend on her.
    I agree, although I'd phrase the explanation a little differently. If you mean the family as a group (a singular entity), then I'd use depends. If by "all of our family" you mean all of the members (plural) depend on her individually, I'd use depend.

< Previous | Next >