Banned
Greek
Hello, instead these:
"All people are weird."
"All people love that singer."

can I say these?
"All of people are weird."
"All of people love that singer."

I guess that structure is grammatical, but I think it is used less frequently compared to the structure in the first pair..

• owlman5

English-US
    "All of those people" would sound normal, Vibrato, but "All of people" is just odd. I recommend that you avoid it.

Vibrato

Banned
    Greek
    "All of those people" would sound normal, Vibrato, but "All of people" is just odd. I recommend that you avoid it.
    Thanks. So, can I use "all of" only before pronouns when the word "all" is a part of the object? For example let's say somebody said "What do you think about Europeans?". As an answer to this, I can say "All of them are weird", but I can't say "All of Europeans are weird", right?

I actually feel like the sentences you called "odd" and this sentence "All of Europeans are weird" are not wrong but they are just used less frequently. I mean the structures in those sentences.

Last edited by a moderator:

owlman5

English-US
    I agree with your conclusions in post #3, Vibrato. I disagree with your assumptions about correctness and frequency in post #4. You can do what you want to, of course, in your own speech. I've told you what I thought about "All of people are weird", but I'm not responsible for what you choose to believe or disregard.;)

JulianStuart

English (UK then US)
    "All of people" (as an aexample opf "all of {plural}" is extremeley rare compred to "all the people" and "all of the people" and the citations in the Ngram database are mostly followed by 's or written by non-natives. I would not accept it as "correct".

Hermione Golightly

British English
    I actually feel like the sentences you called "odd" and this sentence "All of Europeans are weird" are not wrong but they are just used less frequently. I mean the structures in those sentences.
    'I dislike all Europeans' is correct.
    'I dislike all of Europeans' is wrong.

Vibrato

Banned
    Greek
    I agree with your conclusions in post #3, Vibrato. I disagree with your assumptions about correctness and frequency in post #4. You can do what you want to, of course, in your own speech. I've told you what I thought about "All of people are weird", but I'm not responsible for what you choose to believe or disregard.;)
    I see. So I am getting that whether it is an object or subject or whatever, if the word "all" is used in a sentence, I shouldn't use "of" after it unless there is a pronoun like "my", "these", "it" etc after it. For example one can say "All of them Americans are nice people", but one can't say "All of Americans are nice people".
    Or you can say "I like the whole album" or "I like all of his new album", but you can't say "I like all of the album".

owlman5

English-US
    "All of those Americans are nice people" sounds fine, Vibrato.

Or you can say "I like the whole album" or "I like all of his new album", but you can't say "I like all of the album".
    "I like all of the album" sounds fine to me. "I like all of that book" also sounds fine. I'll pop back into this thread and make a comment if I can come up with some general principle about when to use "all of" and when to avoid it. Maybe some other member will come up with something before I do...

Vibrato

Banned
    Greek
    "All of those Americans are nice people" sounds fine, Vibrato.

"I like all of the album" sounds fine to me. "I like all of that book" also sounds fine. I'll pop back into this thread and make a comment if I can come up with some general principle about when to use "all of" and when to avoid it. Maybe some other member will come up with something before I do...
    Thanks again. The principle I came up with seems like true to me at the moment. Also I think the same rule applies to other phrases like "many of", "some of", "a few of" etc.

owlman5

English-US
    I don't think you're restricted to pronouns if you use "of". I think the guiding principle here is that you can't use "All of" before plural nouns like "people" unless there is some other word between "of" and the plural noun: All of the people:thumbsup: All of people:thumbsdown: All of the horses:thumbsup: All of horses:thumbsdown: etc.

Vibrato

Banned
    Greek
    I don't think you're restricted to pronouns if you use "of". I think the guiding principle here is that you can't use "All of" before plural nouns like "people" unless there is some other word between "of" and the plural noun: All of the people:thumbsup: All of people:thumbsdown: All of the horses:thumbsup: All of horses:thumbsdown: etc.
    I see. Also the same rule applies to "many of", "a few of", "some of" etc. doesn't it?

< Previous | Next >