All of the candidates are down today.

< Previous | Next >

tagoot

Japanese
All of the candidates are down today. Don’t forget to check out the political unit’s rolling minute-to-minute coverage of all the latest 2016 developments at the On the Trail liveblog at NBCNews.com.

This is from First Read: Trump starts the general after squandering a head start.

What does the adjective “down” mean? Sick, depressed? They don’t make sense. Does it happen to mean “off”? I could not find an appropriate definition in dictionaries.

Thank you in advance.

• waltern

English - USA
    Note the subheading "On the trail" which precedes your sentence in the article, which means "On the campaign trail" - I take "All of the candidates are down today" to mean none of the candidates have scheduled public events today (they are all taking the day off after yesterday's primaries.)

tagoot

Japanese
    waltern Thank you very much.

As far as I looked into various dictionaries, “down” has no such definition as “off”.

Can I understand that “down”, here, means “off” in relation to the subheading "On the trail"? Is it a very special, or one-off meaning limited to this occasion? Or, do you often use “down” in the meaning of “off”?

waltern

English - USA
    I agree that "down" is not commonly used to mean "off" (as in "to take time off") - it might be a specialized usage in the world of political reporting, but whether it is or not I think the meaning is clear enough in context.

< Previous | Next >