All of these things are now a reality: that if of course, except for the robots.

MrRise

Russian
Hello, could you please explain what does that if of course mean in this sentence: All of these things are now a reality: that if of course, except for the robots.

It says that we have such things as Internet, rockets to the moon (It's unclear.. but probably it means the rockets that have been to the moon or that have flown to the moon) and nuclear power and so on.

But except for the thinking robots, so.. Is it right if I rephrase it to: All of these things are now a reality: that is of course, except for the robots. = It's of course that all these things are now a reality, except forthe robots (Because almost all people know what Internet is or waht nuclear power is). Or It's of course we have all of these things (Internt, nuclear power and etc.), except for the robots.

Maybe that is of course means something else here? Could you explain, then? Or make me sure? :)

• JulianStuart

English (UK then US)
    Hello, could you please explain what does that if of course mean in this sentence: All of these things are now a reality: that if of course, except for the robots.

It says that we have such things as Internet, rockets to the moon (It's unclear.. but probably it means the rockets that have been to the moon or that have flown to the moon) and nuclear power and so on.

But except for the thinking robots, so.. Is it right if I rephrase it to: All of these things are now a reality: that is of course, except for the robots. = It's of course that all these things are now a reality, except forthe robots (Because almost all people know what Internet is or waht nuclear power is). Or It's of course we have all of these things (Internt, nuclear power and etc.), except for the robots.

Maybe that is of course means something else here? Could you explain, then? Or make me sure? :)

"Is it right if I rephrase it to: All of these things are now a reality: that is of course, except for the robots." Yes - if there is a comma before "of course" as there should have been in the original.

The phrase "of course" is parenthetical here

of course, [uncountable]
    • certainly; definitely:"I don't know if I can do this on time.'' "Of course you can!''
    • in the usual order of things:The world would be a better place without him, but of course that's not possible.

MrRise

Russian
    "Is it right if I rephrase it to: All of these things are now a reality: that is of course, except for the robots." Yes - if there is a comma before "of course" as there should have been in the original.

The phrase "of course" is parenthetical here

of course, [uncountable]
    • certainly; definitely:"I don't know if I can do this on time.'' "Of course you can!''
    • in the usual order of things:The world would be a better place without him, but of course that's not possible.
    Oh.. I got it! I knew it was parenthetical.. or maybe just the meaing of it by translation, anyway, the problem appeared for I didn't read the begining, which starts telling us that there were some writers, that wrote about rockets to the moon, the Internet, nuclear power and robots. All of these things are now a reality, of course except for robots.

Sometimes I really read inattentively or even don't read what I should.

And I'm grateful a lot for your help! :)

< Previous | Next >