all-round, top the league, lift a finger ....

_sandra_

Poland - Polish
Hi there,
Could you please have a look at the expressions below and help me to find most appropriate synonyms?
all-round
top the league
lift a finger

and one doubt about the word formation; what word deriving from manage, should be put in this sentence:

One of his................(manage) team couldn't believe his ability in this very different kind of sport.

Thanks a lot in advance!
Sandra
http://forum.wordreference.com/images/icons/icon7.gif

• cuchuflete

EEUU-inglés
    _sandra_ said:
    hi
    could anyone tell me what r are the synonyms for words and phrases:
    all-round
    top the league
    lift a finger
    and what word should be put in the senteces:
    One of his................(manage) team couldn't believe his ability in this very different kind of sport.

thanx a lot http://forum.wordreference.com/images/icons/icon7.gif
    Greetings Sandra,

Please do not use chatroom slang in this forum. It is often visited by students, and we try to maintain the use of standard English here.

Also, for school assignments, we request that you make an initial effort, and only then ask other forum members to help with suggestions.

Many thanks,
    Cuchuflete

_sandra_

Poland - Polish
    I'm very sorry cuchuflete,
    I was in a hurry and it was just a slip... I edited my post to make it look more appropriate. I know I should have provided my own attempt of matching the synonyms, but I couldn't think of anything that fits...

Anyway, here's what I got:
    all-round ------- all-purpose
    top the league ---- join (?)
    lift a finger ---- I'm not sure what to choose from the list given: does 'take on responibility' fit at all ?

As for the last sentence I could only come up with:
    One of his team managers couldn't believe his ability in this very different kind of sport.
    But it requires changing he order of the words and I can't do that...

Thanks a lot for your corrections!
    Sandra

cuchuflete

EEUU-inglés
    Hi Sandra,

all-around? Complete comes to mind. Without seeing it in context I'm not sure.

Here are a few examples with slightly different meanings.

1. He's an all-around nice guy. (thoroughly nice, pleasant in all regards.)
    2. She is an all-around athlete. (She is good at all sports.)

Top the league is unknown to me. It may be BE. I am guessing that it means to be the best at something, but please verify with a BE speaker.

To lift a finger is to make an effort.

The final sentence has me befuddled. Sorry I'm no help with that one.

regards,
    Cuchu

_sandra_ said:
    I'm very sorry cuchuflete,
    I was in a hurry and it was just a slip... I edited my post to make it look more appropriate. I know I should have provided my own attempt of matching the synonyms, but I couldn't think of anything that fits...

Anyway, here's what I got:
    all-round ------- all-purpose
    top the league ---- join (?)
    lift a finger ---- I'm not sure what to choose from the list given: does 'take on responibility' fit at all ?

As for the last sentence I could only come up with:
    One of his team managers couldn't believe his ability in this very different kind of sport.
    But it requires changing he order of the words and I can't do that...

Thanks a lot for your corrections!
    Sandra

Kelly B

USA English
    In the absence of a context sentence for #2, I'll make one up: if he makes this putt, he will top the league with his golf score. It means to be in first place.

panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    Don't you have league competitions over there? Competitions where teams, or individual players, in the league each play against each other with points scored depending on the result. Of course you do.

Why does "top the league" seem such a mystery? Right now, Chelsea tops the Premier League. Maybe it is "top" as a verb that is causing confusion?

< Previous | Next >