all running under

intokaos

Español
Hello, I am translating this paragraph from the book Survival Strategies for People on the Autism Spectrum, by Marc Fleisher and I have a doubt:

Most prospectuses will have a number of different courses all running under one subject. You need to study the description of each course very carefully for details of work content, methods of examination and entry requirements.

I do not fully understand the meaning of "running under" here.

Thank you.

• MuttQuad

English - AmE
    Hello, I am translating this paragraph from the book Survival Strategies for People on the Autism Spectrum, by Marc Fleisher and I have a doubt:

Most prospectuses will have a number of different courses all running under one subject. You need to study the description of each course very carefully for details of work content, methods of examination and entry requirements.

I do not fully understand the meaning of "running under" here.

Thank you.
    They mean "being given," as far as I can tell. Seems like poor wording.

Bevj

Allegra Moderata
    English (U.K.)
    I would say the meaning is that one subject will have a number of different courses associated with it.
    However it's now very well written and I could be wrong :)

Parla

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    Your passage refers to a prospectus—a rather unusual word to use for a publication listing courses (the usual word is catalog), but that's obviously what it's describing. I believe that "running" (another odd word to use) means listed. So I believe that what the author is trying to say is that in a [school or other institution] publication listing courses, you'll see general topics listed (such as mathematics, history, etc.) and, under each, a number of different courses you can take. For each course, there will be a detailed description.

< Previous | Next >