All saddled in and happy, are we then, sir?

toonarmy

Italia, italiano
All saddled in and happy,are we then, sir? Reining all our last goodbyes?

What's the meaning of this expression?

Context: a prisoner is waiting for his execution, and a guard says that entering his jail.

• Murphy

English, UK
    Is the guard talking to the prisoner? If he is, it sounds like he's being ironic. In my opinion, he's asking if he is comfortable and has said goodbye to all his friends and family etc. The terminology used would appear to come from horse-riding. "Saddle" = "sella", "Rein (verb)" = "usare i redini".

So "saddled in" would be like "comfortable in the saddle".

Hope it helps:)

toonarmy

Italia, italiano
    Is the guard talking to the prisoner? If he is, it sounds like he's being ironic. In my opinion, he's asking if he is comfortable and has said goodbye to all his friends and family etc. The terminology used would appear to come from horse-riding. "Saddle" = "sella", "Rein (verb)" = "usare i redini".

So "saddled in" would be like "comfortable in the saddle".

Hope it helps:)
    Yes, he is. I think I got it, but I would like to know the literal meaning of "Reining all our last goodbyes". How can one rein the...goodbyes?:confused:

mimitabby

usa, english
    I think it is an extremely poor metaphor. Reining in our goodbyes; trying not to scream how frightened and awful you feel?

Murphy

English, UK
    I think it is an extremely poor metaphor. Reining in our goodbyes; trying not to scream how frightened and awful you feel?
    Yes, if it's "reining in", it means "controlling, holding back" (using the reins to stop the horse running away with you in the saddle).

< Previous | Next >