all shooshed up

jacdac

Lebanese
‘Since we’re holding it in a Second World War air base, we thought it would be such fun if the guests all dressed in thirties and forties’ wartime outfits.’
<…>
‘I thought maybe you’d like to be a land girl. Or maybe a factory worker? Bright red lipstick, an overall and hair all shooshed up in a red and white spotty scarf.
Source: Fire on the Fens by Joy Ellis

I could not find entries for shooshed up fitting this context. So what does shooshed up mean? wrapped up?

Thank you.

• jacdac

Lebanese
    Thank you. You mean squashed, right? The hair is smooshed (squashed), right? Something like this?

upload_2018-6-17_14-49-44.jpeg

jacdac

Lebanese
    Thank you. I read another thread that says to squish is a colloquial form of to squash.

jacdac

Lebanese
    I never ever meant to take you to task. I thought it was a typo as I am familiar with squash and not squish. When I checked later (after reading ... also works), I realised the authenticity of your original answer. I am obliged.

Bongone

English - Australia
    A term which seems to have wide currency these days, not only in AusE, is juj - sometimes spelled jooj and pronounced zhuzh - in expressions like: Her hair was all joojed up.

< Previous | Next >