All Slavic languages: Verbs of motion

Diaspora

USA
Serbocroatian, English
Instead of giving me examples of verbs of motion can someone actually explain them to me? They are very confusing in West/East Slavic languages.
Thanks

• Jana337

čeština
    This is a very broad question. Could you give us some guidance as to what we should comment on specifically, please? :)

texpert

Czech
    Instead of giving me examples of verbs of motion can someone actually explain them to me? They are very confusing in West/East Slavic languages.
    Thanks

As an American, you should get the gist of the thing by comparing the going/go. Though arguably a different phenomenon, this distinction seems to fit with the given examples:

хожу в школу - chodím do školy - I go to school (regularly)
    иду в школу - jdu do školy - I'm going to school (at the moment)

TriglavNationalPark

Slovenian (a.k.a. Slovene)
    As an American, you should get the gist of the thing by comparing the going/go. Though arguably a different phenomenon, this distinction seems to fit with the given examples:

But this isn't a specifically East/West Slavic feature, is it? :confused:

Slovenian, a South Slavic language, has:

Hodim v šolo. = I go to school (regularly).
    Grem v šolo. = I'm going to school (at the moment).

However, I can't remember what BCS uses. Perhaps it's just BCS that doesn't have this distinction? :confused:

Last edited:

texpert

Czech
    Surely not. As I did not quite get the point of the question I simply followed the link provided by jazyk. One of the inputs in there explains that the BCS had ceased to distinguish between iterative/non-iterative verbs of motion.

Last edited:

TriglavNationalPark

Slovenian (a.k.a. Slovene)
    Surely not. As I did not quite get the point of the question I simply followed the link provided by jazyk. One of the inputs in there explains that the BCS had ceised to distinguish between infinite/finite verbs of motion.

I see. I was confused for a second because West/East Slavic languages were mentioned in the first post.

Diaspora

USA
    Serbocroatian, English

Thank you that is very helpful. BCS does not make a distinction. But now I see it easily from an English-language perspective.