"all the air is going out from the front tire, so probably there is a

roniy

ISRAEL: Fluent Hebrew ( Speak Russian, Learning English)
"all the air is going out from the front tire, so probably there is a hole/blowout/puncture in the tire.

Which one of these there options is the most common use????

And there are any other options to express the same thing ????

Thanks.

• A90Six

England - English.
    roniy said:
    "all the air is going out from the front tire, so probably there is a hole/blowout/puncture in the tire.

Thanks.
    I think the choice would depend on the speed of the air loss. To me, a hole could be any size, but I would assume that it was small and the air was released rather slowly. A blowout woud suggest a bang with the air venting almost immediately. A puncture would also suggest a fairly rapid expulsion of air, but not as fast as a blowout.

In BE we use slow puncture to describe a loss of air that may take hours or even days to notice.

mariposita

US, English
    roniy said:

Thanks.
    The most common way to say it would be:

The front tire is losing air (or going flat), so there is probably a hole/puncture.

If it were a blowout, you wouldn't say "probably"--you would know for sure, because it would have gone flat immediately.

Kevman

USA English
    Puncture always sounds to me like a BE version of "hole" or "leak".

Leak is actually a great word here, because you don't have to know whether it is specifically the result of a hole (although what else would it be?), and it can be either a "fast leak" or a "slow leak", if you want to specify.

When I hear "puncture" in this context I think you're talking about a "tyre".:)

jimreilly

American English
    What else would it be?......

It could be a leak in the valve where you put in or let out air, instead of a hole in the tire itself.

< Previous | Next >