All the buzz

Spanish Argentina
Una pregunta: is "ALL THE BUZZ" the same as "is all the rage" ?
Thanks

Context
It’s ALL THE BUZZ in five states: ballot measures that would legalize recreational marijuana use.

• fenixpollo

American English
    I've never heard the term "all the buzz". I think it's a play on words, as Newt says. I think the author probably invented it for this article. The set phrase is all the rage.

Cerros de Úbeda

UK
    Spanish - Spain (Galicia)
    I believe it is a slang word used only in Spain to mean get a buzz from doing something
    Yes, kind of. It's slang for 'encantarle algo a alguien', 'to love, to be very fond of, to get a kick out of st'.

'Me pirran las manzanas asadas'

'Estoy pirrado por este grupo.'

'Me pirro por tus huesitos'
    (= "Estoy loquito por ti", frase algo jocosa de los '80)

I've never heard the term "all the buzz". I think it's a play on words, as Newt says.
    It is very common in the UK. But as a different expression. It is 'there is a buzz about st', meaning 'there is a great interest on / excitement about st'.

It is not the same as 'all the rage'. It is not 'to be in fashion' (= 'to be all the rage'), but 'to be a focus of attention'.
    I think they get confused in this case because they look similar, from the fact that 'the buzz' is preceded by the intensifier 'all', but this is not a part of the phrase itself.

- What is (all) the buzz with this new singer?
    - ¿Por qué hay tanto interés por este cantante nuevo?

- It's all THE BUZZ in five states.
    - Está generando interés / noticia en cinco estados.
    (generando atención)
    (dando que hablar / causando revuelo)

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >