All the cup cakes are/were packed into 2 boxes??

< Previous | Next >

Dark90

sinhala
Hi Everyone,

Here are 2 sentences...

1. All the cup cakes are packed into 2 boxes.

2. All the cup cakes were packed into 2 boxes.

My questions are,

does the 1st sentence mean, that at this moment all the cup cakes are inside the 2 boxes and they are ready to move?

and 2nd sentence means all the cup cakes were inside those 2 boxes YESTERDAY and they were ready to move?

Thanks in advance :)

• Florentia52

Modwoman in the attic
    English - United States
    All the cupcakes are packed into 2 boxes. = All of the cupcakes are inside the two boxes, or All of the cupcakes are routinely placed inside two boxes.

All the cupcakes were packed into 2 boxes.= At some point in the past, all of the cupcakes were inside the two boxes.

PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    There is not enough context to tell you what either 1. or 2. means.
    1. could mean that (i) they are not yet in the boxes or (ii) that they are in the boxes now.
    2. could mean that (i) at some time in the past the cup cakes were in boxes but that they are not in the boxes now or (ii) that they were put in boxes at any time in the past, or (iii) it could be reported speech or (iv) it could mean "At some time in the past, it was customary to pack all the cup cakes in two boxes, but that this is now no longer done."

Crosspost with Florentina who has some more meanings.

Sparky Malarky

English - US
    Another way to look at this:

1. All the cup cakes are packed into 2 boxes. Where are the cup cakes? They are packed into 2 boxes.

2. All the cup cakes were packed into 2 boxes. What happened to the cup cakes? Someone put them into two boxes.

Dark90

sinhala
    first of all. thank you all for the replies... :D

let's say I am working at a pastry shop and there is a cup cake order,

so I want to inform the customer that his order is ready, and come and get it....

(let's say I'm texting the customer) so in this case which sentence should I use?

1. All the cup cakes are packed into 2 boxes. and now they are ready to move!

2. All the cup cakes were packed into 2 boxes. and now they are ready to move!

or can I use both sentences? [Not sure but I think both sentences are correct]

Sparky Malarky

English - US
    What are you really trying to tell the customer? That your employees did a good job packing? That the cupcakes are in boxes, not bags? No.

Your cupcakes are ready to be picked up. They are in two boxes, so be sure you get both.

< Previous | Next >