All the reasons ( ) he gave for ...

< Previous | Next >

Ocham

Japanese
What do you think of the question below?
I know "which" is the only choice. But I think nothing is better.

All the reasons ( ) he gave for wanting to change his job were quite unreasonable.

a. which
b. why
c. to which
d. for which

• Parla

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    Yes, leaving it blank would be the best choice—and if a word is demanded, "which" is not correct. The proper choice isn't listed; it's that.

Many of the multiple-choice quizzes we've seen here are misguided, to put it mildly.

NellieBelly

English - UK
    "... if a word is demanded, "which" is not correct. The proper choice isn't listed; it's that".
    Parla, I'm afraid this isn't true, although US style seems to favour 'that' in a way which sounds strange to these British ears.

'Which' can be used in both restrictive and non-restrictive relative clauses, whereas 'that' can only be used in restrictive relative clauses.

All the reasons he gave for wanting to change his job were quite unreasonable.
    All the reasons which he gave for wanting to change his job were quite unreasonable. (preferred in British English)
    All the reasons that he gave for wanting to change his job were quite unreasonable. (preferred in US English)

All the above are acceptable.

See "that" in the Word Reference dictionary - sorry, I couldn't post the link.

Last edited:

Parla

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    Well, Nellie, what I said is true in the US, as you yourself have pointed out, despite the fact that "which" may be preferred in BrE. I speak AmE.

And welcome to the forum.

< Previous | Next >