All the same, it will be visited by tourists for many years to come.

MrRise

Russian
Hello, I have a text about The Leaning Tower of Pisa.

It says of this tower, and there's much interesting information as well as some unclear things. Which ones I beg you to explain, and how do they work?

There is only one sentence unclear, here it is (the last one): All the same, it will be visited by tourists for many years to come.

Got something? Me netiher :( But if I feel no context to get this, probably you will.

Perhaps the main things is that this tower, although it's reinforced, may really fall over completely just by busload of tourists on the top. That was the main things I think, others are about it's covered in marble, it's beautiful, it was built on soft ground, and for this is started to lean in the past. A short history and so on.

And about the sentence I cannot get: It will be visited by tourists for many years to come.

It's really unclear, mostly in construction. To come in the end made all the meaning really unclear.. I'm going to write as I see it:

It said before it's forbidden to be visited by tourist, because it may fall over (to be broken, does this verb mean it?) so that's way it's forbidden.
And I start to read: It will be visited by tourists (um.. why?! It's forbidden, isn't it?) for many years (great, it even will not be stopped for many years? :D) to come (excuse me.. what?)

These two words 'to come', I would understand them in such a sentence: I'm here to help you. Or I beg you to come to the party, will you? Or I really cannot remember what was clear once. Maybe this one is incorrect, anyway: It was me to come first. (It was me who came first, for example to the school).

Maybe it means 'It will take many years for tourists to come' but... I could be wrong. And the original sentence is really unclear, will ypu explain, please? :)

• PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    It said before it's forbidden to be visited by tourist,
    The guide was not written by a native speaker, was it?

Your problem seems to be that the guide says that (a) it is forbidden to visit the Leaning Tower of Pisa but (b) it also says that tourists will be visiting the Leaning Tower of Pisa.

What the guidebook's author intended to write was:
    (a) Tourists can no longer go up the stairway inside the Leaning Tower of Pisa
    (b) Tourists will still be going to the place where the Leaning Tower of Pisa is in order to see it.

To understand the verb "to fall over" (intransitive), imagine putting a tall bottle on a table and then pushing the top of the bottle sideways: the bottle's angle with the table becomes smaller and then the bottle falls over.

MrRise

Russian
    The guide was not written by a native speaker, was it?

Your problem seems to be that the guide says that (a) it is forbidden to visit the Leaning Tower of Pisa but (b) it also says that tourists will be visiting the Leaning Tower of Pisa.

What the guidebook's author intended to write was:
    (a) Tourists can no longer go up the stairway inside the Leaning Tower of Pisa
    (b) Tourists will still be going to the place where the Leaning Tower of Pisa is in order to see it.

To understand the verb "to fall over" (intransitive), imagine putting a tall bottle on a table and then pushing the top of the bottle sideways: the bottle's angle with the table becomes smaller and then the bottle falls over.
    Did I get it right if the tourists will be visiting the tower for many years, but just to see it from a distance, and only when much time will pass, they will be able to come - to the top of this tower or be inside.

And it could be written as All the same, it will be visited by tourists for many years to come [in (it)/to the top] ?

MrRise

Russian
    'To come' in this context, means 'in the future'.

It's in the WR Dictionary: to come, in the future: In years to come, we hope to solve these problems.
    Oh.. it's idiomatic way? All the same, it will be visited by tourists for many years to come = in the future.

All the same means here anyway? Because it's written before it's forbidden to come in nowadays, but probably when many years will pass, it will get able to come in?

It seems to me I got it right, thank you a lot!

< Previous | Next >