All the stopping-places of current discussion ... are mere conveniences of the ring of states ...

kcip

Chinese
Hello!
I have difficulty in understanding the bold part in the following paragraph:

... As for Moscow, it is over two centuries since Catherine the Great declared in a famous ukaz that 'Russia is a European nation', and the history of European culture and politics from the time of Pushkin and Suvorov onwards has enforced her claim ever since. De Gaulle's vision of a Europe 'from the Atlantic to the Urals' will not lightly go away. All the stopping-places of current discussion about widening the EU are mere conveniences of the ring of states closest to it, or of the limits of bureaucratic imagination in Brussels. They will not resist the logic of expansion.
(source: Perry Anderson, The New Old World)

The word 'stopping-place' confuses me the most. Could you please explain the meaning of this sentence for me?

Last edited:
  • TimLA

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    All of the pauses in the current discussion about increasing the size of the EU are
    (1) just conveniences for the states closest to Russia,
    or
    (2) demonstrate the limited imagination of the bureaucrats in Brussels.

kcip

Chinese
    All of the pauses in the current discussion about increasing the size of the EU are
    (1) just conveniences for the states closest to Russia,
    or
    (2) demonstrate the limited imagination of the bureaucrats in Brussels.
    Thank you for your clear explanation!! May I go on to ask whether 'of the limits' connects to the 'mere conveniences'?

< Previous | Next >