all these things make me happy

Discussion in 'French-English Vocabulary / Vocabulaire Français-Anglais' started by kos4963, Dec 3, 2008.

1. kos4963 Member

Ireland
    English
    heya!

my sentance is "these are the things that make me happy"

and my attempt is:
    "toutes les choses ca me rends heureuse"

thanks for any feedback

2. Wordsmyth

Wordsmyth Senior Member

Native language: English (BrE)
    Hi kos, and welcome to WR

"Ce sont les choses qui me rendent heureuse" — assuming that you're female (otherwise heureux), and that you're referring to a defined set of things (the > les).

Ws:)

3. kos4963 Member

Ireland
    English
    Thanks a million!

4. Wordsmyth

Wordsmyth Senior Member

I've just realised that my explanation of "the > les" was rather imprecise. I should have said 'the totality of things that make you happy' (either absolutely everything, or everything in a given situation or context that you're considering).

If you're referring to only some things, which in English would strictly be "These are things that make me happy" or "These are some things that make me happy", then the French would be "Ce sont des choses qui ..."

5. Franglais1969

Franglais1969 Senior Member

Angleterre.
    English English, français rouillé
    Could you not say:

Toutes ces choses me rendent content(e)?

6. Wordsmyth

Wordsmyth Senior Member

I would say that for "All these things make me ...", which avoids the question of "les" or "des" (if you want to avoid it), but it's a nuance away from "These are the things that make me ..." (different emphasis).

For example : "Those things make you happy, but these are the things that make me happy".

As for "content(e)", that would be "happy" in the sense of "satisfied, pleased", whereas I'd say that "heureux" would be a more emotional "happy":):) (opposite of "sad"). Over to kos to choose.

7. Franglais1969

Franglais1969 Senior Member

Angleterre.
    English English, français rouillé
    I basically translated the subject title, (as people are supposed to put their questions there), which was "All these things make me happy."

It is possible that I am in error, I suppose, but I have always used content in this manner, and have never been pulled up on it before.

8. Wordsmyth

Wordsmyth Senior Member

Very good point. Sorry, I hadn't noticed the title was different from the body text. OK, firing squad for kos :D.

I didn't mean to imply that 'content' was in any way an error :cool:, only that "happy" can be translated as either 'content' or 'heureux', depending on the context — which we don't know here.

9. laloyatina New Member

Arabic-Algeria
    Voilà les choses qui me rendent heureuse.... ou bien Voilà les choses qui peuvent me rendre heureuse