all things considering

< Previous | Next >

iolanthe

English, UK
I'm having trouble with a summing-up sentence at the end of a short argument. I want to say something like,

All things considering, when 50% of human DNA is the same as that of a banana, the consequences of a mistake could be very serious

So far I have:

Apres avoir tout consideré, quand 50% de l'ADN humain est pareil de ce d'une banane, les consequences d'une faute pourraient etre tres graves

Any help greatly appreciated

• Nil-the-Frogg

Français (France)
    Tout bien considéré, étant donné que 50% de l'ADN humain est identique à celui de la banane, les conséquences d'une erreur peuvent s'avérer sérieuses (ou "désastreuses" ou "se révéler graves")

Technically, they're often benign though :), and that's rather a good things given how many errors occur with each mitosis.

JamesM

I believe they are both used, but "all things considered" is much more common than "all things considering." Google bears that out, with 16,500 instances of "all things considering" compared to 5.5 million instances of "all things considered."

I believe "all things considering" is usually tacked on to the end of a sentence to indicate that not everything is going well but on balance it's positive, as in "I'm doing well, all things considering."

iolanthe

English, UK
    Ahaah.. thanks for clearing that up, JamesM. It's great how I can improve my knowledge of my own language in seeking to frther my french :)

< Previous | Next >