All things must come to pass

andgentili

italian
Hi everybody! I'm italian native speaker and I would like to know the true meaning of the sentence "all things must come to pass" because I would like to have a tattoo done and I would like to write a sentence that means "nothing lasts forever". So I truly love this expression but looking around I found that the meaning can be also "all things must happen" and that's not what I want to say.

If you hear "all things must come to pass" what do you have in mind? On the contrary, if I change turning it into "all things must come and pass" how does that sound to you?

Which of the two gives you the sense of "everything must come to an end" which would be more clear but less poetic??

Thank you all

• Copyright

American English
    For "Nothing lasts forever," my first thought is "All things must end," or "All things must come to an end."

"All things must come to pass" means that all things must happen, which is not true.

omoryo

English - American
    "Come to pass" is an idiom that means something happened.
    However, the phrase "all things must come to pass" is more ambiguous and could be interpreted as either coming or passing (or even both!) because of the grammatical nuance. Like wandle said, it could definitely be interpreted as "all things must end." Which interpretation really depends on the context, which is silly for a tat. Without context, it would seem to tend toward wandle's interpretation.

However, I would recommend, if you want a really solid and non-arguable phrase, that you go with some variant of "nothing lasts forever."

< Previous | Next >