All Together vs Altogether

Babygirl14x

Panamá, Spanish
Hi people how are you? hope you're fine.
Just to be clear I found that all together is an entire group (as a adjective) and altogether (as a adverb) referring to something in its entirety.
So is this example ok?
===> Example:
(Using background something like "Don't you see anything positive on your chemistry teacher")
No, We're altogether against the chemistry teacher.
Regards,
Thanks in Advance!

• Dimcl

Canadian English
    Hi people how are you? Hope you're fine.
    Just to be clear, I found that all together is an entire group (as an adjective) and altogether (as an adverb) referring to something in its entirety.
    So is this example ok?
    ===> Example:
    (Using background something like "Don't you see anything positive on in your chemistry teacher")
    No, We're altogether against the chemistry teacher.
    Regards,
    Thanks in Advance!
    It depends on what you mean, Babygirl. If you mean that all of the students, as a whole, are against the teacher, you would not use "altogether", you would use "all together".

The adverb "altogether" means entirely or completely or wholly ie: Altogether, the chemistry teacher is horrible". "All together" means in a group ie: "We were all together at my mother's home for the family reunion".

tonko

Italian
    Hello everyone, I am a bit puzzled when it come to the use of all together and altogether, I do understand the difference in the meaning as well that one is an adverb while other is an adjective, but, here comes my question, if altogether is an adverb and it means "completely" or "utterly", is it also grammatically correct to star a sentence with it, for example

Altogether, these findings suggest that the efflux of K+ is prerequisite not only for the formation of the apoptosome.

as it would really sound a bit off to say

Utterly, these findings suggest that ...
    orCompletely, these findings suggest that...

while I would feel confident when saying

Together, these findings suggest that...

I would appreciate hearing your thoughts on this.

Cheers :D

Last edited:

owlman5

English-US
    "Altogether" has other meanings besides "completely" or "utterly". Here are two definitions from M-W* that make sense with "findings":2 : in all : all told <losses amounting altogether to nearly a hundred dollars> 3 : on the whole : in the main : as a whole <altogether the institution compares favorably with others in the city>

"altogether." Webster's Third New International Dictionary, Unabridged. Merriam-Webster, 2002.

Last edited:

panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    I am sure it would be possible to find a correct sentence beginning with Altogether, but I don't think this is one.
    Edit: I see owlman's quote from M-W.
    I still feel the topic sentence is ... not good :) It's not the same as the M-W example.

In the M-W example, "Altogether" is a sentence adverb.
    In the topic sentence, "Altogether" is meant to suggest that the findings, taken all together, suggest...

tonko

Italian
    Ok, so at the end there is no such a big difference in saying

Together, these findings suggest that
    or
    Altogether, these findings suggest that
    and even
    All together, these findings suggest that

Thank you for your input. :D

tonko

Italian
    @ panjandrum

Are you saying that it is incorrect to say

What made me puzzled is that there are 500 hints in Nature, the journal.

My suggestion was actually

Together, these findings suggest that

panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    @ panjandrum

Are you saying that it is incorrect to say

Was I that correct?
    What made me puzzled is that there are 500 hints in Nature, the journal.
    It looks, from the evidence, that I am saying that I am uncomfortable with this use of altogether. That appears to be a personal foible, not widely shared :)

tonko

Italian
    In the M-W example, "Altogether" is a sentence adverb.
    In the topic sentence, "Altogether" is meant to suggest that the findings, taken all together, suggest...
    Those were exactly my thoughts.

It looks, from the evidence, that I am saying that I am uncomfortable with this use of altogether. That appears to be a personal foible, not widely shared :)
    Yes and I am thankful for your comments, as I truly do appreciate your opinion. :)

Tempura

Japanese-Japan
    <-----Threads have been merged at this point by moderator (Florentia52)----->

Hello everyone.
    I'm having trouble with the words: "all together" and "altogether.
    If I want to use it in asking the total of something as in addition or subtraction problems, which word is correct?

ex. She has four dogs. She bought 2 more dogs. How many dogs does she have all together / altogether?

Thank you

< Previous | Next >