all up in your grill piece

marcolo

France, french
Hello everyone,
I met this expression in a love context :

- but I think Andi just asked you out on a date.
- No, it wasn't a date, ok? It was a lecture,
(...)
- Whatever, man. She was all up in your grill piece,
and you told her to take a hike.

I understand here the meaning, Andy is interested in having an affair with Sam (the guy she asked out), and that would have been easy for him to "conclude the deal" (if I can say that). But he refused.

I am wondering if "grill piece" referred to the device used to make a barbecue ? Do you think this is a common idiom ? Can you use that idiom in other contexts when you miss an opportunity (for example a good trade, a good job, earning money ...) ?

Thank you for your insights about this expression.

• Loob

English UK
    It's a new one on me, marcolo:)

But the Urban Dictionary suggests it means "teeth" (note that the first definition on the page gets more thumbs-down than thumbs-up).

xebonyx

TR/AR/EN
    It basically is a slang expression which has to do with proximity(either metaphorically or literally)-- someone is really close to you and in your space/face.

rsweet

English, North America
    Perhaps "grill piece" refers to the front part of a car--the grill.

xebonyx

TR/AR/EN
    No, it doesn't. Not in this context. This is an expression commonly used among urban youth--particularly hip hop 'heads', and African Americans. Having grown up in these communities, I'm pretty sure it's what UD has described. Actually, I'm completely sure.

snorklebum

Mexico English
    Grill/grille same thing.

It's a cute way of saying "up in your face" using the car's grille as a metaphor.

In your face means aggressively bothering you. Picture somebody pesting somebody else, putting their face or hands near their face to intimidate.

lordterrin

American English
    snorklebum is correct... WHile I have never heard "grill piece," (like someone was trying to use the phrase correctly but messed up, the common expression is "up in your grill," where "grill" means "face." It can mean someone giving you attitude or someone being a little too pushy in what they are saying to you.

If you tell someone, "you're all up in my grill!" it's the same as "back off" or, to a lesser extent "leave me alone."

< Previous | Next >