All who are interested should send the CV TILL 7th July

lux_

Here at the end of the message is piece of text just sent me via mail and concerning an internal job posting.

What aroused my doubts and curiosity is the use "till".
Wouldn't "by" or a simple "before" or even "within" have been more appropriate?

By the way, in case it could be helpful, the company is Indian.

All employees who are interested in this position and meet the criteria described should send updated CV together with short information why you are interested in this position to ***** ***** till Wednesday 7th July EOB.

• nzfauna

New Zealand, English
    It is not quite right. I would more expect to see:

All employees who are interested in this position and meet the criteria described should send an updated CV together with a short cover letter describing why you are interested in this position to ***** ***** by COB on Wednesday 7 July.

lux_

Yes indeed, there are several small, if we can consider them so, errors here and there in the text.

I don't really know what's "EOB" to tell you the truth and not even "COB" you mentioned in you message.

But what about that "till"? What could they have used in place of that to make it sound more grammatically correct?

Thank you.

Loob

English UK
    Hi lux_

The "till" should have been "by" (as in NZF's rewrite):).

COB is "close of business"; I suppose EOB is "end of business".

liliput

U.K. English
    I imagine that EOB and COB mean End of Business and Closing of Business, i.e. the end of the working day.
    I'm not familiar with these abbreviations either and it took some thinking to work it out.

< Previous | Next >