All (widespread/beneficial) biological traits fall into one of two categories

< Previous | Next >

tesoke

USA
Persian
In the following GRE test, I think that A can be correct, while book says A is correct. Why?

All ------- biological traits fall into one of two categories: those giving their possessors greater ------- the environment and those rendering them more independent of it.

(A)widespread. .detachment from

(B)beneficial. .control over

(C)successful. .freedom from

(D)neutral. .compatibility with

(E)harmful. .advantage in

• Keith Bradford

English (Midlands UK)
    I can see merits in all these options apart from E, but at first glance A seems perhaps the least persuasive!

But I think you'd need to ask on a science forum - this isn't a question about grammar but about biology.

Parla

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    You said: "I think that A can be correct, while book says A is correct." They're the same; did you make a mistake?

(A) makes no sense.

In my opinion, (B) is the only correct answer.

Glasguensis

Signal Modulation
    English - Scotland
    A and C can be eliminated because their options for the second gap are too similar to "independent of the environment", and the sentence requires this gap to be filled with something which contrasts. D and E can be eliminated because a rudimentary knowledge of science tells us that the two categories in question are unlikely to be harmful or neutral to the possessor. B is the only viable choice.

< Previous | Next >