"All words in French" or "all the words in French"?

< Previous | Next >

Eugens

Argentina Spanish
¡Hola! :)
Escribí estas oraciones, pero ahora estoy dudando de si tendría que poner el "the" después de "all" o no. ¿Son oraciones gramaticalmente correctas?:
1) All words of more than one syllable in all languages (or at least I suppose so?) have one syllable that is stressed more than the others.
2) Are all words in French stressed in the last syllable?

• cuchuflete

EEUU-inglés
    Eugens said:
    ¡Hola! :)
    Escribí estas oraciones, pero ahora estoy dudando de si tendría que poner el "the" después de "all" o no. ¿Son oraciones gramaticalmente correctas?:
    1) All words of more than one syllable in all languages (or at least I suppose so?) have one syllable that is stressed more than the others.
    2) Are all words in French stressed in the last syllable?
    Hola Eugens,

The first sentence is fine. The second needs a little help.

Are all words in French stressed on the last syllable?

or

Are all the words in French stressed on the last syllable?

Also fine, but implies that 'all the words in French' are a subset of a larger group of words, not all of which are in French.

Un saludo,
    Cuchu

panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    I am not sure what kind of "more" or "better" advice could be provided.
    It looks good to me as it is.
    Cuchu's explanation sets out how the meaning changes if you add "the".
    I'm burdened by the sense of responsibility that cuchu's post places on the E-Only Forum - but perhaps sharper brains will add more.

AH - do you mean the bit in (...) as a comment for this thread or as part of what you are going to write?
    As a comment for this thread it is fine.
    If you were going to write this somewhere, it would be better placed at the end of the sentence, and I would re-order the sentence:
    1) In all languages all words of more than one syllable have one syllable that is stressed more than the others (or at least I suppose so).
    Phew!! I found something to comment on. And add some punctuation...,,,.,.

Eugens

Argentina Spanish
    Thanks, Panj!
    Where would you add the punctuation? Here?
    1) In all languages, all words of more than one syllable have one syllable that is stressed more than the others (or at least I suppose so).

Tisia

Iran, Persian, Kurdish, English, Finnish
    or should it be like this:

1) All the words with more than one syllable in all languages (or at least I suppose so?) have one syllable that is stressed more than the others.

Because you mean the words with more than one syllable.

2. Are all words in French stressed on the last syllable? Looks fine.

panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    Eugens said:
    Where would you add the punctuation? Here?
    1) In all languages, all words of more than one syllable have one syllable that is stressed more than the others (or at least I suppose so).
    Yes, that should do.

< Previous | Next >