Allama Iqbal did his/a/the PhD from Germany

Roymalika

Punjabi
Allama Iqbal did his/a/the PhD from Germany.

Could you tell me which one is correct and what is the difference, please?

Last edited:
  • Edinburgher

German/English bilingual
    First, you need to change "from" to "in".

If he has a PhD, we can refer to it as "his PhD". You would use "his" if you knew he had one and were discussing where he obtained it.
    You would use "a" if you are focusing on what he did in Germany. He did (studied towards) a PhD.
    You would only use "the" if you are referring specifically to the PhD, for example if he has two degrees, perhaps a BA and a PhD, you could say that he did the BA in England and the PhD in Germany.

dojibear

English - Northeast US
    He got the PhD "from" a university, not "from" a country. A country did not give him the PhD. A university gave him the PhD, after he completed their requirements (by studying there).

But that university could be "in" Germany.

reno33

English - USA
    Allama Iqbal did his/a/the PhD from Germany. :cross: (none are correct)

In AmerE we would say: Allama Iqbal got his PhD in Germany (from Heidelberg University):tick:

There are other possibilities, got = obtained, received, etc. but the above is the most common way to say this.

elroy

Imperfect Mod
    US English/Palestinian Arabic bilingual
    You would use "his" if you knew he had one and were discussing where he obtained it.
    In my variety of English, it can also be used if you are just mentioning for the first time that he did a Ph.D.

For example: My uncle is very well educated. He did his Ph.D. in Germany.

< Previous | Next >