allestimento (mostre, musei)

elmalu

native language:italian
Hi!
How can I translate "ri-allestimento museale"?

It's a title: "Le ragioni di un riallestimento".
I've found: arrangement, display and setting, but I can't understand very well the difference of use of these three terms in a museal context.

Thanks a lot,

Elmalu

• DAH

USA/California--English
    Salve Elmalu,
    Museal is not used in AE when speaking of museums or their activities. Usually it's just museum.
    By way of example, I'll try to describe how the three terms would be used in the context of a museum:
    An arrangement would be used to describe something that decorates the museum, not the art in the museum. The artist always dictates the arrangement of multiple pieces grouped together, for example, Rodin's Burghers of Calais. A curator always has the artist's intent in mind when exhibiting the work. An art collector might ask the artist about the nuances of his arrangement of pieces grouped together.

The setting would be the gallery room, exhibition hall or outdoor landscape (for scuplture) where the art is exhibited.

Display and exhibit are common terms uesd when the art-going public visits a museum to aesthetically appreciate works of art. The museum visitor might ask: Where are the Picassos being exhibited?

Museum workers used terms like mounting or installing an exhibition. See www.getty.org May, as directed, assist with planning and supervising or directing the fabrication, installation, disassembly and storage of collections and exhibits, install, maintain and operate gallery lighting, work with exhibition design, conservation, exhibition, registration, and curatorial staff to fabricate and install exhibitions, objects, and supporting materials, install and maintain all permanent galleries, special exhibit and temporary exhibition spaces, and art storage areas, transport works of art to and from the airport and other locations, and coordinate with registrar for the receipt, delivery of objects.

Last edited by a moderator:

DAH

USA/California--English
    Museum workers used terms like mounting or installing an exhibition. See http://www.getty.edu May, as directed, assist with planning and supervising or directing the fabrication, installation, disassembly and storage of collections and exhibits, install, maintain and operate gallery lighting, work with exhibition design, conservation, exhibition, registration, and curatorial staff to fabricate and install exhibitions, objects, and supporting materials, install and maintain all permanent galleries, special exhibit and temporary exhibition spaces, and art storage areas, transport works of art to and from the airport and other locations, and coordinate with registrar for the receipt, delivery of objects.
    The WR progam didn't allow me to edit my prior post therefore in order to correct a typo in the linked website, I've had to quote myself.

elmalu

native language:italian
    Hi DAH!

I had imagined it was the Getty.edu the website you've linked.
    Thank you for the kind clarification, and sorry for my english!

alein

Italian
    Buonasera.
    Avrei bisogno di capire come dire in inglese "allestimento", soprattutto se riguarda una mostra d'arte contemporanea.
    Vi ringrazio per l'aiuto
    alein

giovannino

Italian
    Penso che si possa usare il verbo "set up". Un esempio da Google:

An exhibition is being set up in the Town Centre...to raise general awareness of falls, their causes and prevention

E' in corso di allestimento una mostra che ha lo scopo di...

bnb

italian
    Ciao a tutti,
    devo tradurre questa frase: "si occupa della installazione e dell'allestimento di svariate mostre". Il registro è formale.
    Potrebbe andare: "she deals in installation and outfitting of several exhibitions"?

Grazie
    bnb

Last edited by a moderator: