Allez, champagne !

< Previous | Next >

Zarg

English - Canada
Folks,

Is that simple "Let's celebrate!"

It marks the 30th anniversary of a music festival.

• Michelvar

Quasimodo
    French / France
    The meaning is "let's have a very special celebration". Even if there is no champagne involved, "allez, champagne!" means that we are not doing it the usual way, this time, we treat ourselves with only the best. For a music festival, they can say it, for instance, to emphasize the fact that they have a very prestigious guest this year.

But, depending on the context, it can also just mean "let's celebrate".

Like:
    • C'est notre 30ème anniversaire. Allez, champagne! >>> let's celebrate
    • Cette année pour notre 30ème anniversaire nous recevons XXXX. Allez, champagne! >>> nothing is too good for us, see how we treat ourselves.

Nicomon

Langue française ♀
    Several days later... my two cents.

I think it can also be understood as : Ça se fête en grande pompe ! as opposed to a simple : Ça se fête !
    As in : Let's celebrate in (grand) style!

That said - someone will correct if I'm wrong - I think a near literal translation could work : - And now, champagne for everyone!

ain'ttranslationfun?

US English
    Let's break out the bubbly. :confused:
    I like it (maybe even without "Let's"). I wonder whether a BrE speaker would say "Break out the champers!" (By the way, if they do, is "ch" sunded like "shampoo" (my guess) or like "champion"?)

In the promotional release (?) for the anniversary of the music festival, maybe "We're breaking out the champagne!" ?

"Champagne all around!" ?

wildan1

Moderando ma non troppo (French-English, CC Mod)
    English - USA
    Picking up on SwissPete, I would simply say Let's break out the champagne! The other options are possible, but to me they sound more like a journalist trying to be clever.

(It also can be said whether or not you have a bottle handy.)

< Previous | Next >