allied victory; sometimes; was vs. had been;

rubes1

United States, English
I am editing a non-native English speaker's article. Following are a few queries I had. Thanks in advance:) :

After the Second World War—in which Turkey only symbolically participated by declaring war against Germany when the Allied/allied victory became certain—Turkey was redefining its new position in the global arena.

I have seen allied victory written both with and without the capital. Is one correct/incorrect? Which is more commonly used?

Sometimes, the evaluations of China’s military intentions as they appeared in the Turkish journals went well beyond the wildest imagination of the Communist party cadres.

Does sometimes require the comma after it? I feel like it could go either way.

As put by one observer, rather than regarding it as a country to be engaged in the foreign policy scene, Turkey treated China as a political symbol that disseminated an ideological virus. In this sense, the Korean War had been/was critical in shaping the long-term relations of China and Turkey, which became belligerents during this war and remained in the opposite camps of the ideological wars thereafter.

Which tense would be best to use here?

• Whodunit

Deutschland ~ Deutsch/Sächsisch
    1. Merriam Webster suggests capitaliziation of the word "Allied".
    2. You can put a comma after "sometimes". I guess you can go either way. In very formal texts, I'd put one.
    3. I feel that "had been" sounds more logical in the context given.

chilly8

English
    rubes1 said:
    I am editing a non-native English speaker's article. Following are a few queries I had. Thanks in advance:) :

After the Second World War—in which Turkey only symbolically participated by declaring war against Germany when the Allied/allied victory became certain—Turkey was redefining its new position in the global arena.

I have seen allied victory written both with and without the capital. Is one correct/incorrect? Which is more commonly used?

Sometimes, the evaluations of China’s military intentions as they appeared in the Turkish journals went well beyond the wildest imagination of the Communist party cadres.

Does sometimes require the comma after it? I feel like it could go either way.

As put by one observer, rather than regarding it as a country to be engaged in the foreign policy scene, Turkey treated China as a political symbol that disseminated an ideological virus. In this sense, the Korean War had been/was critical in shaping the long-term relations of China and Turkey, which became belligerents during this war and remained in the opposite camps of the ideological wars thereafter.

Which tense would be best to use here?
    Hello, Rubes1

In the first instance, Allied should be capitalized. The capitalized "Allied" in the context of WWII refers to the US/GB/USSR alliance vs. the "Axis" powers of Germany, Italy, etc.

I checked the following sentence against some text editors and it passed in many variants of comma placement. I just prefer the following: "
    Sometimes the evaluations of China’s military intentions, as they appeared in the Turkish journals, went well beyond the wildest imagination of the Communist party cadres.

The commas help seperate "as they..." as a dependent clause.

In the third instance of had been/was, consider the intention of the writer. "Had been" conveys the thought that a condition existed, but now does not. "Was" conveys the thought that the condition did previously exist, and may still exist.

I hope this helps. Cheers!

< Previous | Next >