"Allow money"- acceptable to use for bank transfers between contract parties in different countries?

Aidar

Russia - Tatar, Russian
Hello.

Please consider the following excerpt from a contract:

"If goods are defective, Buyer shall be entitled to demand that cost of defective goods be allowed to Buyer."

Can the word "allow" be used here in the meaning of compensation, where money would be transferred from the bank account of the seller to the bank account of the buyer, residing in different countries?

• Scrawny goat

English - Ireland
    It’s unnecessarily wordy, and ultimately, I suspect, meaningless in terms of a contract [disclaimer: I’m not a lawyer and am not giving legal advice]

Anyone can demand anything from anyone at any time. Surely the contract needs to say what they are entitled to actually receive?

Last edited:

Barque

Tamil
    Can the word "allow" be used here in the meaning of compensation,
    From the context, the reader would get an idea of what was meant, but "allow" does not mean "return" or "refund" and shouldn't be used in their place.

Scrawny goat

English - Ireland
    Has the OP been edited?

In response to the question about ‘allow’: it is not suitable for that situation.

What is the context here, by the way? Are you using this in real life or in an exercise?

Aidar

Russia - Tatar, Russian
    I am preparing a contract. Long done exercising.

My final version is:
    "If goods are defective, Buyer shall be entitled to demand that Buyer’s paid price for defective goods be refunded or compensated in the form of discount from amount of following order."

Barque

Tamil
    I see. The participle "exercising" is usually used in connection with physical exercise, so that's why I thought you'd misunderstood.

< Previous | Next >