allow plenty of time

< Previous | Next >

Russula emetica

Banned
Russian - Russia
Despite the example is taken from the OALD entry on "should", it's with the expression "allow (some) time" that I have a problem here.
should 9 used after that after many adjectives that describe feelings
I'm anxious that we should allow plenty of time.
Does it mean something like I'm worried because our task is likely to take us a lot of time to complete?

Thank you.

• Uncle Jack

British English
    It sounds like they have an appointment somewhere and are worried about traffic or other delays that might make them late. "Allow plenty of time" usually means start earlier than you might otherwise have done so.

Florentia52

Modwoman in the attic
    English - United States
    The problem with quoting sentences from dictionary definitions is that there is no context. All we know from the sentence is that the speaker is concerned that an adequate amount of time be allotted. We don't know what activity is involved, who will be engaged in the activity, or anything else.

dojibear

English - Northeast US
    "I'm anxious that we should allow plenty of time."

To me this sentence means "I feel strongly that we should (we ought to, we must) allow plenty of time."

velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    "I'm anxious that we should allow plenty of time."

To me this sentence means "I feel strongly that we should (we ought to, we must) allow plenty of time."
    Yes, it's very close to definition #3 in our Random House Dictionary:

3 earnestly desirous; eager: He is anxious to please

In this particular sentence, "I feel strongly that..." is a good paraphrase.

< Previous | Next >