allure to them as a wicker chair?

< Previous | Next >

ddubug

Korean
Hi,

Could you help me to understand this?

<My nude form holds about as much allure to them as a wicker chair.>

My understanding...

I didn't put anything on me. But they are not interested in my nude.
Their interest to my nude is low as to a wicker chair.

If my decontruction is right, why 'a wicker chair'?

• owlman5

English-US
    I think your understanding that this person's nude form is not very interesting is correct. I suppose that the writer or speaker of this phrase used "wicker chair" to represent any non-living, non-sexual object.

Igorst

Polish-Lithuanian-Russian
    1.Could you, guys, give me some simple examples where I could use word allure. I've found some in dictionaries, but I still can't remember this word.
    2. Is this word popular in every day conversation among native english speakers? Is it more formal or informal?
    Thank you!

ewie

English English
    2. I'd say it's 'a bit formal'. No, it's certainly not common in everyday conversation ~ it's just not the kind of thing that crops up much, really, especially not in places like Manchester, UK (where I live), where life has all the allure of a bucket of cold dog vomit. (It's probably more commonly used in places like Beverly Hills or in the editorial offices of brain-rotting fashion magazines ...)

1. For examples of it in use, go to the dictionary entry (enter the word in the box at the top of any page): just to the right of the headword you'll see this:
    in Spanish | in French | in Italian
    English synonyms| in context | images
    click on 'in context' and there you'll find 239,000,000,000 examples:)

< Previous | Next >