Almirida, Almyrida

< Previous | Next >

Margrave

Portuguese
Hi! :) In Crete there is the beach of Almirida/Alymrida ( Αλμυρίδα ). I wonder what is the meaning of this toponymy. Any advice is welcome.

Rgs

MG

• Margrave

Portuguese
    Thank you. I could find άλας (salt), which could relate to ἁλ but not able to find the radical for μυρίς, which should mean "land".

ioanell

Greek
    not able to find the radical root for μυρίς, which should mean "land"
    μυρίς does not exist neither as a word nor as a root, and therefore has no connection with “land”, but the word ἁλμυρίς, as Acestor explained the derivation (ἅλς n. (sea)> ἅλμη n.(sea water, brine) > ἁλμυρός adj.(salty, briny) > ἁλμυρίς adj.), is in fact a feminine adjective (coming from ἁλμ-υρά, the feminine of ἁλμ-υρός) which defined the word χώρα as ἁλμυρίς χώρα (=salty land), until sometime in the past the noun χώρα was omitted in the everyday use and the adjective ἁλμυρίς was nominalized and continued its life as a toponym of the place. The modern toponym is the accusative case αλμυρίδα of the ancient nominative case ἁλμυρίς.

Bob the Geordie

English
    μυρίς does not exist neither as a word nor as a root, and therefore has no connection with “land”, but the word ἁλμυρίς, as Acestor explained the derivation (ἅλς n. (sea)> ἅλμη n.(sea water, brine) > ἁλμυρός adj.(salty, briny) > ἁλμυρίς adj.), is in fact a feminine adjective (coming from ἁλμ-υρά, the feminine of ἁλμ-υρός) which defined the word χώρα as ἁλμυρίς χώρα (=salty land), until sometime in the past the noun χώρα was omitted in the everyday use and the adjective ἁλμυρίς was nominalized and continued its life as a toponym of the place. The modern toponym is the accusative case αλμυρίδα of the ancient nominative case ἁλμυρίς.
    Having lived about 3km from Almyrida for the last 23 years, I am grateful for the explanation!

< Previous | Next >